function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
hunkherehunkhere 

Can Lookup perform a search on External ID?

Hi ,

Generally LookUp Field will do search on Record Name, Will it do the search on EXTERNAL ID Field???

Nazeer AhamedNazeer Ahamed

Any Text fields marked as External ID will be included in Global Search Top page search, is that what you are looking for?

hunkherehunkhere

Hi, 

Not the Global search, say u have a lookup to account on a contact object when I try to create a new contact I should select the account, so the account field is a lookup to the conatct, so if I search for a account record using external ID value instead of record name, I am not able to see the  External ID  record in the search results it still searches on record name.

Oh Yeah! you can do it very well. You can di it with any field and no need to be external ID field.

Go to Setup - Account object - Search Layouts - Lookup Lialogs.

Select the field which you want to search (Filter) by. 

Here you should first search by record name then you can filter the search list with Filter.

hunkherehunkhere
Lookup Dialogs will show the what columns you want to display in results, but my problem is I wanted to search for a record not only on a record name but also on the External ID.
hunkherehunkhere

Here you should first search by record name then you can filter the search list with Filter.

the above comment is for  keeping a filter on the search results record.

Nazzy wrote:

Oh Yeah! you can do it very well. You can di it with any field and no need to be external ID field.

Go to Setup - Account object - Search Layouts - Lookup Lialogs.

Select the field which you want to search (Filter) by. 

That's Right, As I mentioned it will help to filter the search results. 

"Lookup Filter" -  might give exactly what you are looking for I think. Go to the Lookup field and check out in setup area.

But we are not having this option in standard lookup field like Account Lookup in contact object.