function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
John SiedlickiJohn Siedlicki 

Single-Sign-On from salesforce to Rails App using ASF

Using Activesalesforce and a Rails application, is there a way to specify that Activesalesforce use the Session ID and Server URL handed through from a custom link or S-Control?

I am looking for a seamless authentication transition from salesforce to my custom app as described in:

The only documentation I have found on establishing an ASF connection is to hard code the username and password in the database.yaml file of a Rails app.

Thanks in advance,
John
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 

Michael,

I was never able to get the automatic authentication to work using the before_filter method.  I used the manual connection method outlined mentioned bby Doug three post pror.

- or you can manage this entirely on your own using:

ActiveRecord.establish_connection(:adapter => 'activesalesforce', :sid => sid, :url => api_server_url)

John

All Answers

ClaiborneClaiborne
I am not familiar with the Ruby stuff, but this is what is done in php .

$wsdl = "path/partner.wsdl" - You must have this on your web site. Download it from salesforce.com

$client = new SforcePartnerClient();
            $client->createConnection($wsdl);
            $client->sessionId = $_GET['sessionId'];
            $client->setSessionHeader($client->sessionId);
            $client->setEndpoint($_GET['location']);

The GET variables are the result of a custom web link from salesforce - something like

Doug ChasmanDoug Chasman
John,

ASF has full session id authentication support. The database.yaml approach is only the begining and particularly useful for most Rails apps (salesforce backend or otherwise). There are a couple of approaches to SID auth:

- you can add the following to your app's /controllers/application.rb:

before_filter :asf_sid_authenticate

You need to insure that your custom link, scontrol, button, etc uses the query param names sid and api_server_url.

https://yoursite.com?sid={!API.Session_ID}&api_server_url={!API.Partner_Server_URL_80}

ActiveRecord.establish_connection(:adapter => 'activesalesforce', :sid => sid, :url => api_server_url)

and retrieve the sid and server url using you own mechanism.

Message Edited by Doug Chasman on 01-30-2007 07:39 AM

Doug,

Thank you for your reply, it was very helpful and fast!  I do have two follow questions about ASF if you have time.

1. Are there currently any API calls that can not be accessed using ASF?
  2. Is there any documentation for ASF where the type of information you supplied earlier is available?  I am having difficulty finding any docs or FAQ's for ASF.

Thank you,

John

Doug,

Using before_filter :asf_sid_authenticate in my application.rb file gives me the following error:

undefined method `asf_sid_authenticate' for #<class_name>

Looking at the code in sid_authentication_filter.rb it looks like I need to use

before_filter ActiveSalesforce::SessionIDAuthenticationFilter

Doing that gets me further allong but it also appears that each class that wants to use SID authentication needs to register for it.  I get  Incorrect username / password []  errors now as it is not establishing the connection in sid_authentication_filter.rb.

What am I missing? :smileysad:

Thanks,
John

Michael Haddad.ax365Michael Haddad.ax365
Hey Jon

Were you able to figure out to do Session Authentication (sid) with ActiveSalesforce?  I'm at the same spot you mention in your post.  I've added the before_filter to my application's controller and am passing the Session ID and Server URL in the query string.

Getting Incorrect username/password []

Help?

Thanks!

Michael

Michael,

I was never able to get the automatic authentication to work using the before_filter method.  I used the manual connection method outlined mentioned bby Doug three post pror.

John
This was selected as the best answer
MunnaMunna
Hi,

Is there is any way to merge Lead Id with URL on web tab?

as i created custom web tab and opening a lead activity report at my end.
what i need that when ever any lead is selected on sales force.
so i should know the Lead Id(which lead is selected) and on the basis of selected lead i can show the report running at my local server.

it's very urgent...

Thanks in advance,
Manas
phil_ayresphil_ayres

I found this information really useful. Thanks to everyone contributing to ActiveSalesforce.

For anyone else trying this and struggling, here is the prototype code I ended up with in the controller handling my authentication. In my case I wanted to make sure that I could have users authenticate automatically when one of my pages was embedded in a standard Salesforce page (in an iframe), by passing the sessionid and serverurl as described in the previous posts, or they could authenticate through my standard login page.

To make sure I didn't hit Salesforce for every page request, while still handling changes to the Salesforce session id (through a logout or a session id timeout), I stored the salesforce session id in my own session, to allow a comparison to be made against the session id the page was passed, therefore allowing me to reauthenticate against Salesforce if necessary.

Anyway, this is my poorly tested (at least 5 minutes) code. The stuff about the abstract class I borrowed from somewhere else (wish I could credit the author, sorry), but it lets me keep my standard DB connection for my app, and have Salesforce just connect for a single class. It seems to work ok so far.

class ApplicationController < ActionController::Base

before_filter :set_user

protected

def set_user
# Check if the page comes inside salesforce (the first param is sfdc), or standalone.
#If inside salesforce, only authenticate if the current Ruby user session does not exist, or if the Salesforce session has changed (or is new)
set_user_sfdc if params[:remote_systemtype]=="sfdc" && (!session[:usernumber] || session[:sfdc_sessionid]!=params[:remote_sessionid])
#Handle a standard (non Salesforce) authentication, if necessary
@user = UserProfile.find(session[:usernumber]) if @user.nil? && session[:usernumber]
end

def set_user_sfdc
#Only do this if absolutely necessary - no Salesforce connection or Ruby user
if (SalesforceStructure.connection.nil? || @user.nil?)
#Connect with the information passed into the page
SalesforceStructure.establish_connection(:adapter => 'activesalesforce', :sid => params[:remote_sessionid], :url => params[:remote_serverurl])
binding = SalesforceStructure.connection.binding
#Use the API to get the current user session info
user_info = binding.getUserInfo([]).getUserInfoResponse.result
# Now lookup the user by their Salesforce 18 character user ID, in the Ruby database
@user = UserProfile.find_by_sfdc_userid(user_info.userId)
# If it doesn't exist, we're going to tell the user somehow that they need to talk to their sysadmin
if @user.nil?
flash[:error] = "This Salesforce.com user ID is not recognized by Consected. Please contact your systems administrator for access (quoting Salesforce user ID:" + user_info.userId + "), or login with your Consected username directly."
end
# Store my standard userid in my Ruby session
session[:usernumber]= @user.id
# Store my salesforce session id in my ruby session
session[:sfdc_sessionid]= params[:remote_sessionid]
end
end
end

class SalesforceStructure < SalesforceBase
# The main functions for my Salesforce integration
def blah
end