function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
AneeshaAneesha 

Hiding reports from users

Hi,

I have some reports in my org which I only want some users to see. I have created a folder and a public group with those users and shared the folder with the group. It works fine for most of the users.However I found that some users were still able to access this reports. I mean they are not getting the Insufficient privileges error. They can see the report and edit the report. They are not seeing any data on the report.

Why is this happening? My guess is its a profile permission. But I cannot figure out which one.Can somebody please explain?

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Boom B OpFocusBoom B OpFocus

Hi Aneesha,

I would check the profile of that user.  Like is he a system admin?  If his profile is a custom profile, I would check in the Profile's System Permissions that it has "Manage Reports in Public Folders" checked.  If so, that is the reason why he can see the reports that you don't want him to see.

Hope this helps

B

All Answers

Ashish_SFDCAshish_SFDC

Hi Aneesha, 

The reports are shard on the Folder level, so if the users are able to see the Folder and the Report in it - then they should have access to them. 

If the users are unable to see the content in the report that means that those set of users do not have permission to the Objects and Fields of the Report Content. 

Please check ifthe users have read access atleast to the Report's Objects - all Child and Referenced Objects as well. 

Regards,

Ashish

AneeshaAneesha
Well the users do have access to the objects used in the report. And they can see records if they are the owner of that records. Otherwise no records are shown. And the user cannot see the folder, only the individual report. Like I just opened the report as admin, then logged in as the user and refreshed the report and I can see the report.
I checked with another user from a different profile with the same permissions to the object and he cannot see the report. He is getting the insufficient privileges error. This is what is confusing me.

First, how can a user have access to the report when he cannot see the folder that contains it?
Second, how can another user with the same permissions to the object not see the report while this user can?
Boom B OpFocusBoom B OpFocus

Hi Aneesha,

I would check the profile of that user.  Like is he a system admin?  If his profile is a custom profile, I would check in the Profile's System Permissions that it has "Manage Reports in Public Folders" checked.  If so, that is the reason why he can see the reports that you don't want him to see.

Hope this helps

B

This was selected as the best answer
Ashish_SFDCAshish_SFDC

Hi Aneesha, 

Looks like a typical use case, See the sharing rules of the object and verify which user group has the access to the Report folder. 

If still the question is not clear, please raise a support case , one of us should be able to assist you further looking into the User details and the Sharing levels. 

Regards,

Ashish

AneeshaAneesha

Thanks all for your help!

You were right Boom B. The user has the manage reports permission in their profile. Sadly there is no way we can hide the reports other than putting them in folders.

However, from my research i found that summer 13 has introduced a cool new feature for report folder sharing. Once enabled we will be able to share the reports with particular people and also give different access rights to different people.