function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SteveA101SteveA101 

Move config between unrelated Orgs

I have some config on my personal Developer Org that I would like to copy over to my current Client sandbox org.  Is there a way to do this, or do I need to re-config in the Client org?  Thanks!

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
sfdcfoxsfdcfox
You can use the Force.com IDE or Metadata Toolkit. Simply download the elements you wish to move from the developer organization, then deploy it to the sandbox organization.

The Force.com IDE is an easy way to do this. Once installed, create a new project using the credentials for the developer organization. Select the elements you want to copy and import them into your project. Then, right-click on the project and choose Force.com > Deploy to server.... Enter the credentials for the target organization, then follow the wizard.

All Answers

sfdcfoxsfdcfox
You can use the Force.com IDE or Metadata Toolkit. Simply download the elements you wish to move from the developer organization, then deploy it to the sandbox organization.

The Force.com IDE is an easy way to do this. Once installed, create a new project using the credentials for the developer organization. Select the elements you want to copy and import them into your project. Then, right-click on the project and choose Force.com > Deploy to server.... Enter the credentials for the target organization, then follow the wizard.
This was selected as the best answer
SteveA101SteveA101

Brilliant!  Thank you!

On a somewhat related note - I'm sure you're familiar with the salesforce 'recruiting app'?  Is there a place where that config is available to import?

sfdcfoxsfdcfox
Honestly, I had never checked it out, but I just installed it to take a look. What are you looking to import? You can import most of the data through Setup > Data Management > Import Custom Objects. I don't know of a repository of "automated configurations" that one might import for various apps, but I'm planning on rolling out my own in a few months (mostly due to needs at my place of employment for such a feature).
SteveA101SteveA101

Yeah, I saw that the app exchange has 2 recruiting apps...but sounds like neither are the one that the force.com fundamentals book walks you through to create.

I'm with a Client that is looking to create some sort of recruiting app.  So I just wanted to start with something as opposed to creating from scratch.  And quite hinestly, not sure if the app exchange apps are any good...from the reviews, they are not :)