function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
KazAaronKazAaron 

Newbie Question - How to search objects/records?

Hello, 

I'm brand new to force.com development and have a (what appears to me to be a) very simple question.  I've created a new app that tracks "Clients" -- it has a Client object which tracks standard information: name, address, phone number.  All the functionality for adding, deleting records is there.  But I can't figure out how to activate/create the ability to search for clients.  I have an autonumber field which tracks client #'s.  And if you search by that "201210-15" it will display the client record in the search results. But how do I "Activate" or develop the ability to search by other fields, "Name" "phone number" etc.  I've gone through the beginner tutorial and tried searching for the solution and can't get anywhere. 

Thank you! 

Aaron

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
sourav046sourav046

Do you exactly know what is a Object,Tab and App ??

In simplest language :

Object is somewhere you want to store data with it own attributes .Its like a table .

Once the object is created, you need to create records in it.If you want to access an object to create records or delete existing records you must create Tabs for those objects .It is mandatory for an object to be accessible it must have Tab .

An App is a collection of Tabs(means collection of accessible objects) which may be or may not  corelated inside .

Your question has two answers .

If you want to search objects go to :

Your Name>Setup>App Setup>Objects .

There you can see existing custom objects and create new objects .'

For Standard objects you need to navigate to :

Your Name>Setup>App Setup>Customize

For viewing record you need to click on the desired tab whose record you want to see .

\*If this reply resolves your query,mark it as resolved*\

All Answers

sourav046sourav046

Do you exactly know what is a Object,Tab and App ??

In simplest language :

Object is somewhere you want to store data with it own attributes .Its like a table .

Once the object is created, you need to create records in it.If you want to access an object to create records or delete existing records you must create Tabs for those objects .It is mandatory for an object to be accessible it must have Tab .

An App is a collection of Tabs(means collection of accessible objects) which may be or may not  corelated inside .

Your question has two answers .

If you want to search objects go to :

Your Name>Setup>App Setup>Objects .

There you can see existing custom objects and create new objects .'

For Standard objects you need to navigate to :

Your Name>Setup>App Setup>Customize

For viewing record you need to click on the desired tab whose record you want to see .

\*If this reply resolves your query,mark it as resolved*\

This was selected as the best answer
KazAaronKazAaron

Thank you!   Wonderfully clear and well written response.  I appreciate the help as I navigate my way through the first level of force.com development.