function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
DonnyEastDonnyEast 

Look up two objects (LOOKUP Table etc.)

Is there a VLOOKUP that can be used for picklist field choice retrieval.

How do you create a picklist field that is populated from data in another object.

For example, I have two custom objects. One called Main Form and another named Admin Form.

The Admin Form has a Name record named "Status" with a "Choices" field with the values Open and Closed.

On Main Form I have a custom field named Record Status that is a pick list. I want the Main Form Record Status field to display the values in the Admin Form document named Status with the values Open and Closed.

In other words, the values displayed in the picklist will be populated with Open and Closed. This was all the picklist variables can be stored in a single table object. The key is "Status" and the returned values are from the Choices field of the record.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

sravan alaparthisravan alaparthi

Dear Donny,

Please do call Admin or Main as objects,when you use the word 'form' its slightly ambigous....

So considering them as objects please do provide some more details like...

• do you want a new record to be created every time on main when a record is created on Admin(if so you can use trigger on Admin)
  • in-case you just need to update the records on Main you can use work flows also
DonnyEastDonnyEast

In short, on object A, how do I populate picklist values from a lookup to another objects (object B) document collection?

There does not seem a logical way to do this in SF which seems to expect one to hard code these values at field creation time...?

A version of Microsoft Excel's VLOOKUP only seems to exist in validation strangely?