function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
CarteBlancheCarteBlanche 

best way to handle login connection for large-scale applications?

Hi everyone,

I am doing some development with the PHP toolkit. 
Currently, on every page I make, I use the standard client login() function to create a connection to Salesforce.

My questions:

1)  Is the login() function strong enough to handle a large-scale application with thousands of concurrent users?  

2)  If the login() function is not the way to go about it, then what is the best way? 

I should elaborate that my users will be using my application to update the Salesforce database themselves.

Thanks

Message Edited by CarteBlanche on 01-03-2008 11:54 AM
sf_davesf_dave
In my research I thought some about this problem as well.  Some things to consider are if your users login with their own salesforce id's or if your application has one username / password that everyone is going to use (behind the scene's obviously).

If there is only one username / password that many users are going to piggyback through your web site you might want to consider making a static connection in a base php object and hand out the same connection every time a derived object is created.  This should prevent the overhead of someone having to "login" every time a page is viewed.

I personally did not go this route, but considered it, and will go this way if our traffic increases.

Hope that helps
-Dave