function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
houdini987houdini987 

Importing Legacy Case data using Sforce Excel Connector

Hello all.

First timer here, I'm hoping someone has tried this before and can lend a hand.  We have the Professional license of Salesforce and I just downloaded the Excel Connector Add-In.  I'm able to query the case table without a problem, but I have some unanswered questions...

1) I cannot retrieve any data from CaseComment, CaseSolution, or Solution (receive "No data returned for this Query").  I know I have comments and solutions posted against my sample data online--is this a software limitation?    

...fyi, I did install the Professional Edition of Excel Connector

2) When looking at the Case data, it appears that each case is issued an internal (hex?) CaseID number.  I'm assuming this is some sort of RecordID.  If I want to import my legacy cases through this interface, will I have to create new CaseID's for them?  If so, what rules need to be applied to draw up these new numbers?

Many thanks to whoever reads this and takes the time to repond! 

ScotScot

On (1), there have been no comments from anyone on this as a limitation of the professional version; it works fine in the open-source version.  If you haven't done so already, I'd check for the selection criteria used (cells to the right of the table name). If you use the wizard, and don't specify selection criteria, it will automatically add one for recently changed records.

On (2), all the salesforce.com records are keyed on a sequentially assigned case sensitive 15 character id (which sometimes appears with an additional 3 characters to make a case-insensitive version). You don't built them ... they're assigned by salesforce.com automatically. When you insert new records through the connector, you put the value "new" into the cell for the id.  After the insert is done, it will return the ID assigned for that record.

RBIRBI
You can keep you old case number in the case number field (different than the SFDC case_ID).  You also run into a problem that open and close dates are set by SFDC. So, everything will be created (opened) on the date you run the import. If you import closed cases the close date will also be set to the date the import runs. You will probably want to have custom fields to preserve the original open date and close date.