function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jmcturnanjmcturnan 

Excel connector installation problem

Hi, everytime I try any of the menu commands I get the message

"The macro c:\Documents and Settings\MCTURNANJ\Local Settings\Temp\sforce_connect.xla'!sfDescribeAndQuery' cannot be found"

I have uninstalled & reinstalled the Addin multiple times. I have tried uninstalling the Office toolkit.

Much appreciation & thanks in advance for helping me resolve this.
Ron HessRon Hess
hope this helps
if not, pls send the version you are using

Excel Connector - Moved xla file to a different folder and now connector won't work.

Question
I got the excel connector installed properly yesterday. But I noticed that I had saved it to a temporary folder, so I moved the .xla file to a different folder. Once I did that, whenever I tried to open the .xla file, it says that "the file could not be found. Check the spelling of the file name, and verify that the file location is correct." How can I uninstall, and reinstall all over again?

Answer
Yes, if you move the file you may have to uninstall the entry in the Add-In list of Excel and re-install it from the new location. This sounds easy, but it can be tricky because Excel thinks the old file exists until you really clear out the toolbar and entry from the add-in folder
I use steps like this:
Open Excel
click Tools, Add-Ins
uncheck the sforce_connect checkbox, click OK
close Excel
Open Excel again, if the "sforce_connector" menu bar is still there, right click on the tool bar area of excel, uncheck the sforce Connector check box
close Excel
open Excel
If the bar is gone and the Add-INs list is showing the add-in as unchecked or gone then you can re-install the add-in using the new file location of the XLA, see the install instructions Installation Guide for details on the install.

I wish i could tell you a better way to do this, but these steps work most of the time.
jmcturnanjmcturnan
Hi, thanks for the post. Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem. I am using v6.05 and Excel 2003 SP2. Note: entry in AddIns remains despite my unchecking it, closing the toolbar and exiting Excel and then restarting.

Thanks again for your help. This is a fantastic tool.

Regards,
John

Ron Hess wrote:
hope this helps
if not, pls send the version you are using

Excel Connector - Moved xla file to a different folder and now connector won't work.

Question
I got the excel connector installed properly yesterday. But I noticed that I had saved it to a temporary folder, so I moved the .xla file to a different folder. Once I did that, whenever I tried to open the .xla file, it says that "the file could not be found. Check the spelling of the file name, and verify that the file location is correct." How can I uninstall, and reinstall all over again?

Answer
Yes, if you move the file you may have to uninstall the entry in the Add-In list of Excel and re-install it from the new location. This sounds easy, but it can be tricky because Excel thinks the old file exists until you really clear out the toolbar and entry from the add-in folder
I use steps like this:
Open Excel
click Tools, Add-Ins
uncheck the sforce_connect checkbox, click OK
close Excel
Open Excel again, if the "sforce_connector" menu bar is still there, right click on the tool bar area of excel, uncheck the sforce Connector check box
close Excel
open Excel
If the bar is gone and the Add-INs list is showing the add-in as unchecked or gone then you can re-install the add-in using the new file location of the XLA, see the install instructions Installation Guide for details on the install.

I wish i could tell you a better way to do this, but these steps work most of the time.

Ron HessRon Hess
you could try uninstall excel , reinstall excel.
sort of a big hammer, solution but may work.
jmcturnanjmcturnan
To recap the addin was obsessed with thinking it was located in my "C:\Documents and Settings\MCTURNANJ\Local Settings\Temp" directory. Rather than uninstall Excel, I uninstalled the addin via the menu & toolbar (oddly the toolbar was sticking around after removing it from Addin's). Then I restarted Excel and reinstalled the addin at the temp dir location "C:\Documents and Settings\MCTURNANJ\Local Settings\Temp"...VOILA! Works. I don't like having it in this directory, but I'm going to leave it there cuz I need to get some work done! Thanks for you help!

BTW: Here is some info from MSFT that describes how Excel stores the location of Addin's in the registry

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810789

Ron Hess wrote:
you could try uninstall excel , reinstall excel.
sort of a big hammer, solution but may work.

orzikorzik
I had similar issue... this is what I did and highly recommend to others.
Edit below code as noted below and run manually when needed...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub Auto_Open()
On Error Resume Next
' CommandBars(IDS_TOOLBAR_NAME).Delete ' not neeeded each open
' CommandBars("Salesforce").Delete ' remove old toolbar

Above code is commented so that it does not run each time...
Remove second comment (') if you would like to remove old toolbar and run the code manually. Please note that original tollbar name is "sforce connector" in the code below I replaced it with "your toolbar name here". See below modification 1:

Modification 1
Sub Auto_Open()
On Error Resume Next
CommandBars("your toolbar name here").Delete ' remove old toolbar

After that you can add your new Add-in or remove first comment ('), put the second comment back in and run the code. See below modification 2:

Modification 2
Sub Auto_Open()
On Error Resume Next
CommandBars(IDS_TOOLBAR_NAME).Delete ' not neeeded each open
' CommandBars("your toolbar name here").Delete ' remove old toolbar

Ron,
If you read this message please consider placing this solution on the sforce connector FAQ page

Should anyone have questiones about this please email me at gorzik@gmail.com.
grg orzikowski
slikslik

I tried a lot of things to get this to work, and I may have found something that I want to share

Just change the name of the macro file.  I changed to excel_connector1.xla.  That seemed to do the trick

KissaKissa
Where do you put that?
BlueBloodBlueBlood
The Add-Ins screens are under the clover-leaf menu, Excel Options, Add-Ins
KissaKissa

OPh I knew that.

I ment this:

I had similar issue... this is what I did and highly recommend to others.
Edit below code as noted below and run manually when needed...

Sub Auto_Open()
On Error Resume Next
' CommandBars("Salesforce").Delete ' remove old toolbar

Above code is commented so that it does not run each time...
Remove second comment (') if you would like to remove old toolbar and run the code manually. Please note that original tollbar name is "sforce connector" in the code below I replaced it with "your toolbar name here". See below modification 1:

Modification 1
Sub Auto_Open()
On Error Resume Next
CommandBars("your toolbar name here").Delete ' remove old toolbar

After that you can add your new Add-in or remove first comment ('), put the second comment back in and run the code. See below modification 2:

Modification 2
Sub Auto_Open()
On Error Resume Next
CommandBars(IDS_TOOLBAR_NAME).Delete ' not neeeded each open
' CommandBars("your toolbar name here").Delete ' remove old toolbar