function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
thomp361thomp361 

Basic tracking data

I have contact/lead tracking data from another system that needs to tie back in with Salesforce.

What object should I use to report these actions that Contacts and or Lead has taken?

These actions are for example, links clicked, opens, visits to certain web page, etc.  Pretty basic.

I don't see a place in the Contact or Lead objects for this.

Thanks!

IspitaIspita

Hi Newbie,

In the standard objects (Native objects) there is no placeholder for the type of data you are talking about, though one can use "tasks and events" to record calls and meetings . I suggest you can create a custom object with lookup or master-detail relationship with lead to accomodate or hold the tracking informationyou have.

Do let me know it that serves your purpose else we can think of other solutions.

Thanks and regards,

thomp361thomp361
Hi Ispita,

Sounds like if I put the data in "tasks and events" that could be confusing.

If I create this custom object, where would that be displayed in the sales force web UI?

Can it be listed in the activity history or what are my options?

Thanks for the help!
IspitaIspita
If you create a custom object and create a tab for it it will be displayed in that tab plus if the object is related to Leads then it will be displayed as a related list of Lead.
Activity History holds information of Closed and archived tasks, so its basically old task data.
thomp361thomp361
Cool, sounds perfect...would I have to do the same thing for the "Contact" object?

Or are Contacts and Leads somehow related?
IspitaIspita

When you convert a Lead it gets converted into:-

1. Account

2. Contact

3. Opportunity

4. Task

The parent holds fields :-

1. ConvertedAcccountid

2. ConvertedContactid

3. ConvertedOpportunityid

holding values of respective converted object instances!

thomp361thomp361
Got it, can you point me in the right direction for creating a custom object with master/detail relationship?

I think I can take it from there!
IspitaIspita

Ideally you should create an Object which is related via Master-detail to the Lead object!

thomp361thomp361
According to this page: http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/api/index.htm

Master - Detail for a Lead object isn't allowed. Am I reading that correctly?

I also tried creating a custom object using the web UI and it seems you can't create a Master - Detail relationship with a Lead.