function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
saraAsaraA 

Deleting a Picklist Value

Hi -

I'm cleaning up some data and I need to delete a Picklist value.  But I get the message:

The picklist value you attempted to delete is the last value for the following record types. This picklist must contain at least one value. Either add another value to the picklist or to the following record type.

How do I fix this?

thank you -

Sara

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
LAVAN_SFLAVAN_SF

Under the error message you got the Record Type name,.

1.Go to that specified record type, there is a list available for picklist under  "Picklists Available for Editing"

2.Click edit option near the field which Picklist value you want to delete.

3.Remove the value(which picklist value you want to delete) from the "Selected value" box and save it.

Note: In record type picklist should have a single value(so you can replace some other value before you do the step 3.

All Answers

IspitaIspita

Well there a round about way of deleting picklist values.
I have mentioned all the steps to delete picklist value in my blog for reference. Here's the link:-
http://salesforcecrmnuances.blogspot.in/2013/09/sfdc-quick-heals-18-15-sfdc-id.html
Thanks and regards,

LAVAN_SFLAVAN_SF

Under the error message you got the Record Type name,.

1.Go to that specified record type, there is a list available for picklist under  "Picklists Available for Editing"

2.Click edit option near the field which Picklist value you want to delete.

3.Remove the value(which picklist value you want to delete) from the "Selected value" box and save it.

Note: In record type picklist should have a single value(so you can replace some other value before you do the step 3.

This was selected as the best answer
saraAsaraA

That did it!  And I understand what's happening - much appreciated.

sara

saraAsaraA
Thanks so much! This is helpful info.
Sagar Nagvekar 14Sagar Nagvekar 14
For any record type in the "Picklists Available for Editing" section, it won't allow you to remove all the values from the "Selected Values" column. This is a known issue with Salesforce. As a temporary workaround you can add N/A as a value in the "Selected Values" column. There is an idea in Salesforce Ideas which you can upvote so that removing all values will be implemented by Salesforce :- https://success.salesforce.com/ideaView?id=0873A000000CU61QAG
Navigate to this section from Setup -> Customize -> Contacts -> Record Types -> Select any Record Type and then click "Edit" to the left of any picklist in the "Picklists Available for Editing" section.