function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
satyamsatyam 

How to get multiple value in a field using lookup or multi select picklist

Hi,

Actually my scenario is that i have two field one is named as customer name which is lookup with account and another is account number which is a formula field after selection customer account number will automatically populated.

But, the scenario is that one customer having more than one account in account object so after selection the customer name ,for account name there i want some functionality either multiselect or lookup field so that in that user can select some of the account for that customer.

How i can implement this functionality.Please pleasr help me out from this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
yvk431yvk431

sorry i dont have any code for this as i didnt worked on anything like before, just give a try with what i suggested earlier.

thanks

--yvk

All Answers

ProlayProlay

Dear Satyam,

Here is my understanding:-

In salesforce, Picklist cannot have more than one value selected at a time. Because  a single field  cannot have more than one value at given point of time. So your requirement of "Multi Select Picklist" is not possible.

Your requirement is not clear at all.

My questions are:-

1. What are the objects? i.e. Customer and Account?

2. What kind of relationship they have? i.e. Lookup/Master-Detail/Self/Many-to-Many?

Please rephrase your requirement once again so that I can suggest you possible solutions.

Thanks,

Prolay

satyamsatyam

Hi,

I have 2 object and in first object which having lookup field named as customer name from account.after selecting that customer name  all the account for that customer in account object having customer number like example

acc no are 23,24,25,26

i want these four value in multiselect picklist field in my first object where user want he can select either 2 or 3 acc no and save the record.

Hope u can understand....

ProlayProlay

Dear Satyam,

I am wrong with my ideas. The Multi Select picklist is possible. Please elaborate your requirement so that I can give you possible solution.

Cheers!

Prolay

ProlayProlay

Please consider these points:-

1. In salesforce standard objects cannot be in the detail side. They are always the Master object. The custom objects can be in the detail side. So what is your first object? Is it standard or custom?

2. You may need to develop Visualforce pages to meet this requirement.  You may find this post valuable http://boards.developerforce.com/t5/Apex-Code-Development/Querying-and-setting-multi-select-picklist-values/td-p/157065

Please let me know if you need further information.

Cheers!

Prolay

satyamsatyam

Hi Prolay,

I am not getting what is going on this link.

Can u have some code which u already did or some example so that i can take some hint from there.

yvk431yvk431

Hi Satyam,

I dont think its possible to tie multiple references of an object with a single field unless if you decide to go with complete customization.

If you are looking for a customized solution, then you can have visual force page with a controller. On the page you can have a text field Customer Name, you can use any possible action events like onBlur, onKeyup and retrieve the list of all possible Accounts and display them dynamically using a multi select picklist. Then you can store the multi selected values in another text field based on your requirement.

The only way to tie multiple references to a record is to have multiple lookups referring to the required object.

Hope I undertood your reequirement

--yvk

satyamsatyam

Hi,

Yes You r right but how this i can implement can u have some code for this where u implemented this schenario.

yvk431yvk431

sorry i dont have any code for this as i didnt worked on anything like before, just give a try with what i suggested earlier.

thanks

--yvk

This was selected as the best answer
satyamsatyam

Hi,

Can u give me a trial so that i can modify it according to my requirement.