function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
NANCY1NANCY1 

Urgent: How ro change the field type from Master Detail to lookup (or any other else)??

Hi All,

Sorry to mark it urgent, as i need to implement this soon...

I have a custom object with Master detail Relationship, now i want to make this field as lookp field (reason: i may not have the master record each time for the detail record). Please let me know the way of converting the master field to Lookup, or any other Data Type.

or else, is there any way to to mark the Master Detail field as non-mandatory on the detail objects page layout

Please let me know..

Thanks

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Ankit AroraAnkit Arora

Nope! Not in Enterprise edition, but possible on developer edition :)

Thanks

Ankit Arora

Blog | Facebook | Blog Page

All Answers

Ankit AroraAnkit Arora

Setup > App Setup > Go To your object > Click "Edit" on Master Detail Field > Click on "Change Field Type" > Select Lookup Relationship > Save it.

Thanks

Ankit Arora

NANCY1NANCY1

Hi,

Unfortunately.. i don't see "Change Field Type" button when i click on the edit the Master Detail field...

Thanks

Ankit AroraAnkit Arora

Field is on your custom object or any packaged object? Also let me know on which edition you are working with.

Thanks

Ankit Arora

NANCY1NANCY1

Fields are on Custom Object..its not packaged. And i am using Enterprise edition...

Ankit AroraAnkit Arora

Ahh!! That is the problem, you can change it on Enterprise edition.

Thanks

Ankit Arora

NANCY1NANCY1

Okay....

it means any of the reqt stated is not possible..... :)

Thanks

Ankit AroraAnkit Arora

Nope! Not in Enterprise edition, but possible on developer edition :)

Thanks

Ankit Arora

This was selected as the best answer
Carlama8Carlama8

Is that something that happens only for the Master Detail? Because I am on Enterprise and I am able to change field type.

GuyClairboisGuyClairbois

Not sure about which edition this will or will not work, but to change Master-Detail to Lookup, you need to first remove all Roll-up summary fields (also removed them explicitly from the 'Removed fields' . Otherwise the 'Change field type' button will not appear.

sandeep@Salesforcesandeep@Salesforce

I am sure about this problem : 

if A is master of B then if you need to change this master detail relationship to lookup then you only need to click on setup ->

obeject;> master detail field > Edit> now you will not be able to see button "change field type" if there is Roll up summary field on Master objetc so delete it first and also remove it from "deleted fied" trash box then you will be able to see"change field type" button. 

I got this problem and It gets solved.

ChiplateChocChiplateChoc

You've selected an incorrect answer, this is possible.

Derek Davis 7Derek Davis 7
Actually - you can change from Master-Detail to Lookup as long as the master doesn't have any Roll-Up summary fields.

Just go into the child object, edit the Master-Detail field, click the "change field type" button. Switch to "Lookup" & Save.
Note that this button won't even show up if you have any Roll-Up summary fields on the master.
Alex Sherwood 1Alex Sherwood 1
Just for the sake of clarity, the master record can have roll-up summary fields, as long as they are not rolling up values from the detail record whose relationship you want to change.
Nitish SinghalNitish Singhal
I think you can change the data type from Master Detail to Lookup, but you won't see this option, until you have all rollup fields deleted first. So, please delete the rollup summary fields, and then try to change the field data type. 

please mark this answer selected, if you find this helpful. 

Nitish Singhal
Sunil Shah 8Sunil Shah 8
Thanks Ankit Arora :)
Amogh GhodkeAmogh Ghodke
Converting Relationships

You can convert a master-detail relationship to a lookup relationship as long as no roll-up summary fields exist on the master object.
Please see the LINK for all details 
https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=relationships_considerations.htm&type=0
Amogh GhodkeAmogh Ghodke
Converting Relationships 

1) You can convert a master-detail relationship to a lookup relationship as long as no roll-up summary fields exist on the master object.
Please see the LINK for all details 

2) You can convert a lookup relationship to a master-detail relationship, but only if the lookup field in all records contains a value.

​https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=relationships_considerations.htm&type=0
Varun kumar MakamVarun kumar Makam
Don't we need to delete the existing values in the child object?
Nikolay MitjulNikolay Mitjul
To do that you need to:
1. have not Enterprise edition
2. delete all roll-up summary fields on parent and remove them from "Deleted fields"
3. delete all "Field updates" of parent if have in "Workflow actions"