function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Nick G.Nick G. 

Force.com Workbook - Merchandise object vs Products

Hello,

I'm working my way through the Force.com workbook in creating the basic warehouse application. It starts by creating a custom object to track merchandise (item) details/quantities/etc. I'm wanting to use something like this in our enterprise edition, but I'm just curious as to why one would want to create this separate object rather than just expanding the Product object which is already a part of the SF editions?

Any thoughts?

Nick

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

"Force.com" is the key to this - the Product standard object is part of the CRM application which would require a Salesforce license.  Force.com is a lower cost license for creating custom applications. 

IMHO if you have the Salesforce licenses, you should always look to build on the existing functionality rather than replicating it.

All Answers

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

"Force.com" is the key to this - the Product standard object is part of the CRM application which would require a Salesforce license.  Force.com is a lower cost license for creating custom applications. 

IMHO if you have the Salesforce licenses, you should always look to build on the existing functionality rather than replicating it.

This was selected as the best answer
Nick G.Nick G.

Thanks so much for the feedback! Building on the product standard object is what I will do then.

Thanks!

Nick