function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SyllingerSyllinger 

Is it possible to create many-to-many relationships without a visible junction object?

Alright,

So, up to this point, I see how junction objects work similarly to a key/pairing tables in a database.  Both facilitate INNER joins allowing you the option of creating many one-to-one relationships.  The issue that I am having, however, is that I do not want these junction objects to be visible, and I want to provide an easier way for my users to create relationships without interacting with a 3rd object.

Is this possible?  Similar to how you can add many contacts to a single task if "Shared Activities" is enabled, can I create many-to-many objects with a veiled junction object?

If this IS possible, it's not very well documented.  It also raises the question of:  how is the user to establish this relationship, or is it expected that some kind of trigger is working behind the scenes to create the junction record?

I'm all very confused.  It just seems so much simpler to code this using SQL and PHP, Java, Python, C#, etc.

Madhan Raja MMadhan Raja M

Hi Syllinger,

Without a visible junction object we cannot create many-to-many relationships. SF uses different techniques for Shared Activities.

Click on KUDOS button if the post helps you!

If a reply to a post answers your question or resolves your problem, please mark it as the solution to the post so that others may benefit.

Regards,

Madhan Raja M