function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
QualquunQualquun 

Is there a way to easily divide one case into multiple cases?

Say one case has various tasks and one wants to split up this case into multiple cases and assign those cases to different people. Is this possible? I'm trying to figure out how to use the Parent Case field to do this, but I'm having trouble.

Thanks!

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

If you add parent case to the layout, you can clone the top level case and populate the parent case lookup at creation time with the top level case.

All Answers

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

If you add parent case to the layout, you can clone the top level case and populate the parent case lookup at creation time with the top level case.

This was selected as the best answer
QualquunQualquun

I finally figured out how to use parent cases and related cases and it's working well - is that what you're talking about? I'm afraid I don't really understand your answer...

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

Possibly :)  I am talking about parent and related cases, but also use of the clone button.  This will create an exact copy of the original case.  Thus when you have clicked the clone button, all you need to do is set the parent id rather than recreating the entire case from scratch.

Any clearer or jut made it worse?

QualquunQualquun

Oh no, that's very clear. I apologize. I was very brain-dead when I read your post :) Do you know if it's possible to clone children while you clone a parent?

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

No children get cloned as standard for cases - you'd need to write code to achieve that.

QualquunQualquun

Bummer. I was looking at this app though:

http://appexchange.salesforce.com/listingDetail?listingId=a0N30000004cbbDEAQ

Do you think that'd do what I'm describing? It would save so, so, so much time for our tech team.

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

It looks like it would, although its a two-step process - clone the case, then clone the related lists.

You might want to ping a private message to abhi_the1 (http://boards.developerforce.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/45264) as he has reviewed this in the app exchange so will be able to tell you for sure.  Tell him I sent you.

QualquunQualquun

Thanks so much for your help! You're my favorite :)