function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
James S.ax1698James S.ax1698 

Professional Services Close Date/Custom Object Help Please :)

Hi there, we are a software business who also sell professional services. Say for example we recieve a PO for 20k of professional services in August (and mark the opp closed in august), we then want to show that 10k has been delivered in September, and 10k is left of the PO.

I have solved most of this via a custom services object related to opportunities. However where I'm struggling is having the closed revenue figure accurately reflect the delivery date of the professional services using the close date on the opportunity.

So to eloborate, say I close the opportunity in August, and we delivered 10k of services in September, when I run a report looking at closed revenue in September, I would want it to to reflect the 10k we delivered in September. As it stands it would show we'd delivered 10k, but it would show that as closed revenue for August (i.e. the close date of the opportunity).

Does anyone know how we can solve this with code? I'm thinking might have to write off the revenue figure to a table every day or something similar. any help greatly appreciated

James
Sonam_SFDCSonam_SFDC

Hey James - after reading your use case I understand that when you create this opportunity - it basically will be closing in two months (ideally, it should not be marked closed in Aug)

- August (you will show 10k has ben delivered this month)

- September (remaining 10k is scheduled for this month)

Are you using Opportunity Products by any chance?

If yes, this kind of requirement can be easily managed using Schedules on Opportunity Product : http://ap1.salesforce.com/help/doc/en/products_establish.htm

You will be able to report better.

Hoping I've understood your requirement and the suggest helps!

James S.ax1698James S.ax1698

Hi Sonam  - thanks so much for your reply. 

Yes I have looked at products as a solution, but even using those I still find that the revenue amount attributed to an opportunity on the close date does not move despite setting up a revenue schedule on the products. This is if i run a report on just opportunities - is it the case that the only way to ever do this is to run a report of opportunities with products?

Thanks

James

Sonam_SFDCSonam_SFDC

James, I would have to say yes to that question reason being - opportunity as a whole is just the total revenue you generate from Closed Won opportunity but the schedule of Products define the revenue split.

So you will have to go with the report type as 'opportunities with products'  as of now 

But looking at your use case, I understand this can definitely be registered on our Idea exchange so other can also promote this idea in case they use the same approach -

https://success.salesforce.com/ideaSearch