function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
davidsworldukdavidsworlduk 

Best way to implement a custom object - advise please

Hi,

I'm trying to solve a problem where I'd like to be able to record things that took place during a sales call. The scenario is that a sales rep has visited a customer and during the course of the call has left an item with them. I'd like to be able to record that the object has been left. What's the best way to do this in SF.com?

In other systems I've used I would have a section on the call screen to select any products and qty that were left behind.

My current thoughts are:

- Create the custom object to lookup a product and enter the qty. Link this object to the task object so that when creating the call, you add the items that were left behind along with the quantity.

- The problem with this is that there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to link the custom object to the call

- Create the custom object as above, but link it to the account. After the call is recorded, the user can add each item that was left behind from the account. 

- I've managed to implement this, but it feels like there should be a link to the call in some way.

Any advice from experienced devs out there on the best way to do this in SF.com?

Thanks in advance,

David.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 

Thanks,

I actually wanted to still use the products, but add an additional custom object of Samples. I've managed to do something similar to what I was after now by not using the built in objects and just using custom ones.

Regards,

David.

All Answers

I think I've got my head around this, the object needs to be related to the opportunity. A call is logged as an opportunity which creates the activity record and associated sample items.

Himanshu ParasharHimanshu Parashar

Your scenerio can be done using SF.com standard objects. You have to monitors your details using Account, Contact,Opportunity,Opportunity Line Item which has relation with products Object.

Thanks,

I actually wanted to still use the products, but add an additional custom object of Samples. I've managed to do something similar to what I was after now by not using the built in objects and just using custom ones.

Regards,

David.

This was selected as the best answer