function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Karimov CeyhunKarimov Ceyhun 

Custom fields in custom settings

Hi,

is there any way to create custom fields of type 'long text' in custom settings? I coulnt see long text type while creating custom fields in custom settings. This seems very weird.

Thanks

Ceyhun Karimov

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Shashikant SharmaShashikant Sharma

No you can not add a log text in custom setting field and there is a reason also, custom settings are primarily used to save configurations for any application. Now long text as a configuration is impracticle. But now as there must me some need of yours thats why you are asking. So I would suggest you to create a custom object, use it as Custom Setting. Even when salesforce did not introduced custom setting we used a custom object as to keep org configurations. So I hope your case can also be solved with custom object.

All Answers

Shashikant SharmaShashikant Sharma

No you can not add a log text in custom setting field and there is a reason also, custom settings are primarily used to save configurations for any application. Now long text as a configuration is impracticle. But now as there must me some need of yours thats why you are asking. So I would suggest you to create a custom object, use it as Custom Setting. Even when salesforce did not introduced custom setting we used a custom object as to keep org configurations. So I hope your case can also be solved with custom object.

This was selected as the best answer
Karimov CeyhunKarimov Ceyhun

Thanks for the reply Sharma,

Salesforce forces developers to use custom setings and not to use custom objects, for example i save activation key code which can be quite very long. But nevertheles, thank you very much