function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
sfdcFanBoysfdcFanBoy 

Extending Salesforce to different languages - Chinese

Hi All,

I have an enterprise edition of Salesforce currently shown in English Language to all.

Now, we would like to extend this to few Chinese Users, but the screens/layouts/field names have to be in Chinese language for these 20 new users (Note that these 20 new users belong to 5 different profiles/roles and they will be accessing it from China). 

Can anyone please brief me, what are the areas I need to take into consideration for the language change and how do I start with? Below are my few questions.  But please do let me knwo others aspects that I need to look into?

- Can language be changed for an entire profile/role ? Or is it specific to each user? (I think it is user based.  Please confirm). What are the steps to follow?

- Can I mass change the language settings of certain users?

- Apart of changing the language settings, what other settings do I need to change?

- Once I change the language settings, all the fields(standard and custom) of all the objects (standard and custom) will be directly translated? or do I need to manually change few fields?

- Can I include the new users in existing profiles/roles? (The only difference the new users have is that they need to see the screens in Chinese and i will add few sharing rules to give access to data)

Please explain.  Thanks. 

Satish_SFDCSatish_SFDC
Translation Workbench will help you here.

https://help.salesforce.com/HTViewHelpDoc?id=customize_wbench.htm&language=en_US

Regards,
Satish Kumar
sfdcFanBoysfdcFanBoy
Thanks for that. Also, can you answer the below queries which I couldn't find yet.

- Can language be changed for an entire profile/role ? Or is it specific to each user?
- Apart of changing the language settings, what other changes do I need to consider?
Satish_SFDCSatish_SFDC
Language is specific to the User.

Regards,
Satish Kumar
Satish_SFDCSatish_SFDC
Language is specific to the User.

Regards,
Satish Kumar
nbknbk

Please find my comments in below for your questions.

Can language be changed for an entire profile/role ? Or is it specific to each user? - Yes you are right it is user based

What are the steps to follow?

- Can I mass change the language settings of certain users? - You need to mass update the existing users and you have to plan new users creation language settings.

- Apart of changing the language settings, what other settings do I need to change?

- Once I change the language settings, all the fields(standard and custom) of all the objects (standard and custom) will be directly translated? or do I need to manually change few fields?

-->Once user change the language settings, the platform will change all native fields,layouts..etc.

before this you need to enable translations for the org and add chinese language. (go to Translation workbench tab for more details)

--> you need to import  stf file in the org(salesforce translation file), It wil update chinese translation components in the org.

other wise you manually update translations for the fields (Ex: Translationworkbench->Translate->Select the language->select the component->follow the remaing steps to add the translated text for any field/record type/label/help text.

- Can I include the new users in existing profiles/roles? (The only difference the new users have is that they need to see the screens in Chinese and i will add few sharing rules to give access to data)

Yes you can assign new users to existing profiles.

This information may helpful for you. Please let me know if you need more information on this

Thanks,

Balakrishna

Mark ZhangMark Zhang

Can language be changed for an entire profile/role ? Or is it specific to each user? - Yes you are right it is user based
 What are the steps to follow?
- Can I mass change the language settings of certain users? - You need to mass update the existing users and you have to plan new users creation language settings.

-->Once user change the language settings, the platform will change all native fields,layouts..etc.
before this you need to enable translations for the org and add chinese language. (go to Translation workbench tab for more details)
--> you need to import  stf file in the org(salesforce translation file), It wil update chinese translation components in the org.
other wise you manually update translations for the fields (Ex: Translationworkbench->Translate->Select the language->select the component->follow the remaing steps to add the translated text for any field/record type/label/help text.

Yes you can assign new users to existing profiles.
________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks! These suggestions are very helpful!