function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
kashifkashif 

How to display Salesforce info on company website?

Our company recently started using Salesforce.  Can someone please give me some advice on how to accomplish the following:

We would like the 'Careers' page of our company website to use the data entered in Salesforce. Whenever someone enters a new Recruiting Opportunity in Salesforce, and they have checked the checkbox that says 'Post on Jobs Website', we want that job to appear on our company website.

What is the best way to do this? Is there a way to post the job opening to the company website when someone clicks 'Save' in Salesforce? Or will I have to go some other route--like an interface on company website that you have to log in to pull the data out of Salesforce, or a nightly process that does this?

FYI, the company web server is running MS Windows 2003 Server.

I am new to Salesforce and would appreciate any help/code samples/tutorial links that you guys can provide.

Thanks!
ClaiborneClaiborne

A quick and dirty approach is to create a report in Salesforce.com that contains the fields you want to use for your jobs posting. Then, on a regular basis, run the report and save it to your web site as a text file. Your web site can then read the text file to build the jobs listing.

I have done this for a client in Alaska. Go to http://www.alaskaboat.com and look at the permits list and IFQ lists. These pages are generated from a text file produced by a Salesforce.com report.

More sophisticated approach - If you have the enterprise edition, you can retrieve the report "on demand" from the web site using the API. You could track the date the file was last updated and only load a new file once a day or more often.

Even more sophisticated approach - If you have the enterprise edition, you can query salesforce.com dynamically to retrieve the information for the jobs page every time the page is displayed.

Even more sophisticated approach - Have the person who is interested in the job post information (name, address, contact info, resume, etc.) on the web site that is written back to salesforce.com. This, of course, again requires the enterprise edition.

If you do not have the enterprise edition, you are stuck with the QD approach. But you could start lobbying salesforce.com to allow the professional edition to use the API.

Let me know if you have more questions.

kashifkashif
Thanks for your response. I am going to use one of the sophisticated approaches you mentioned :) ---to 'query salesforce.com dynamically to retrieve the information for the jobs page every time the page is displayed'

What kind of setup will I need for this? (I am both a salesforce and dynamic web development newbie, so excuse my ignorance)
ClaiborneClaiborne
First, you need the enterprise edition of salesforce.com to use the api interface.

Second, you need a web server that supports one of the languages that works with salesforce.com. This could be Java, .Net, php, perl or something else. I am assuming that because you asked this question in the php/perl/Python/Ruby section, you might be using one of those.

Once you pick the language, download the appropriate samples and toolkit for your choice.

Also, download the salesforce 7.0 api document.

Then, follow the examples to build your own pages. It is not that difficult, but it can be tricky getting started. Once you get one thing to work, everything else should follow.
kashifkashif
The toolkits are a great help. I am finally getting somewhere. Thanks for your help!