function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
NapsterNapster 

What do Symbols mean in Salesforce?

Hello friends,

I am kind of new to salesforce and have been working on some projects for a litte time. I was going through a code where in a webservice, an XML is sent out to the application calling the webservice in salesforce. Here, in the XML, 3 stirings are sent out in a single tag which is supposed to be separated by a special seires of character set like § 

Instead of these characters, sum kindof symbols are being used. I searched for this, but could not come up with anything. Could you guys please tell me what these symbols mean in the code ?

if(UserNotes=='')
{
                    UserNotes = EncodingUtil.urlEncode(hist.New_Value__c,'UTF-8') +'§'+ (hist.CreatedDate).format('yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss', 'Europe/London'); // Timezone changes by Jayansh
                        }
                        else
                        {                        
                          UserNotes = UserNotes + '‡' + EncodingUtil.urlEncode(hist.New_Value__c,'UTF-8')+ '§'+(hist.CreatedDate).format('yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss', 'Europe/London'); // Timezone changes by Jayansh
                        } 

Thanks

SoleesSolees

Maybe the guy that made the code was just using some 'especials chars' to the other application to understand which value to take once you split it up.

This chars don't mean anything.

Remember that every developer uses this techniques just to 'control' the output or input strings.