function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
naveenkumarbvnaveenkumarbv 

Does HTTP request work with salesforce????

Hi,

I am using Ruby 1.9.2 and Rails 3.0.3, and OAuth2 username-passoword flow to work with salesforce.

Initially when I used WEBrick(without SSL) to connect to salesforce, I was not able to because it needed a HTTPS request, so I configured SSL in WEBrick by generating certificate files, etc and then everything worked fine.

Later, we had to switch to Mongrel, because WEBrick is not suitable for production use and also faced some problems with OpenId integration because WEBrick was not capable of handling large URLs.

We cannot configure SSL in Mongrel directly, so we have zeroed on using Apache server as SSL proxy to mongrel. Things were working  fine except for some URL redirect issues, etc.

But now, when I use ONLY MONGREL and performed the same operations with salesforce like (Saving a CONTACT, Retreiving a CONTACT based on email) and that too without SSL, everything was still working fine.

Please confirm if ONLY HTTP Request works well with salesforce, or is it mandatory to use HTTPS. I am a bit confused regarding this.

Regards,

Naveen Kumar B.V

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

That is an administrator-selectable option that applies to the entire organization, and is defaulted on. This setting is found in Setup > Security Controls > Session Settings, and applies to the entire organization. When on, all channels must be secure (except Sites, unless configured separately), and when turned off, you may choose to use non-secure channels for login and access.

cloudcodercloudcoder

You might also want to look at the REST API for access salesforce data via HTTP/S