function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ClaiborneClaiborne 

Perplexing Problem - Professional Edition with Web API Enabled

I have created a fairly simple package consisting of custom fields for the lead, account, and contact objects.

Each object has a one field that is an external Id so that the particular object can be upserted.

When I install the package on a Developer Edition or Enterprise Edition, it works fine.

When I install it on a Professional Edition with Web API enabled, it installs OK. The new fields are created as external Id's just fine.

One thing that is strange is that installing on the Professional Edition is a 2-step process, while it is a 3-step process on Developer and Enterprise. The step that is left out is the middle step option to Deploy for all users, admin users, etc.

But when I try to execute the upsert command, with the same code that works for the Developer and Enterprise Editions, api returns an error that the external Id field cannot be found.

So, why can a field that is existing on Professional Edition not be found.

Any ideas? Am I trying to do something that cannot be done?

SuperfellSuperfell
remember that on PE, visibility in the API is controlled by the page layout, so you need to make sure your new field(s) are getting added to the page layout for you to access them via the API.
ad75ad75

SimonF wrote:
remember that on PE, visibility in the API is controlled by the page layout, so you need to make sure your new field(s) are getting added to the page layout for you to access them via the API.

SImonF: I am trying to solve some issues around this on PE right now.  It sounds like you have some experience of this issue.  I can't find any explanation of this behaviour in the docs.  Are you able to point me at any info please?  Thanks.