function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
andrew_mowatandrew_mowat 

Eclipse IDE/Packaging/General Release Question

Hi All,

Being fairly new to Salesforce, I am a little confused with the various options that the Eclipse IDE and Packaging solution offer.
It seems to me that Packaging allows you to include almost everything in a package, however page layouts and record types for standard objects seem to be missing?  Similarly, the Eclipse IDE allows you to move a lot of metadata between sandbox and production.  Reports and Dashboards seem to be unavailable in the metadata at the moment though?

What I want to do is move absolutely everything from my sandbox environment to the production environment.  The intention would be to make any changes in the sandbox, then move them to production once some testing was complete.  I want to be able to move config setup in a traditional software development release process, with no need for manual re-keying in production.

I am confused with the various options out there, as nothing seems to give the ability to basically copy one environment setup to another.

Can someone please advise how others are getting around this problem, what tool is preferred and how I should best proceed?

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

Regards,
Andrew

RexRex

Hi,

Packaging is the only way to move from Sandbox to Production system. What ever is avaialble through meta-data that is what you can move. The rest has to be manual work. SF is still working on push concepts where you can actually push all the changes in to the production from sandbox. Not sure when it will be avaialble for public. We are also using packaging to an extent and then use manual process. Hope this was useful.