function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
maybemedicmaybemedic 

Deploying a package & Best Practice

Hello All,
               I am very new to Salesforce.com platform. We have a package in our sandbox(We have unlimited edition) created by someone earlier. My questions are

1. If I need to add some custom objects to the same app. The team that developed earlier does not want us to touch anything in their sandbox. Since we have an unlimited edition, I believe we can create another sandbox of our own. If so how to we go about doing this, since Setup --> Data Management does not show a link to "Sandbox". Is this something that our organizations admin should be doing?

2. Ramifying from my earlier question, in case I need to develop a custom object is it best to do it in our own sandbox or should I be installing the package developed already to my "Developer Edition"?

3. If I need to install the package to the "Developer Edition" could someone please elaborate on how to go about doing this since the AppExchange documentation is not clear on this?
I already have a link to the package to the earlier app from their sandbox, my question is how to use this link.

Any help in this regard is greatly appreciated. Thanks all.
shillyershillyer

Hi,

Regarding your questions:

1. You can create another Sandbox in your org if you have the "Modify All Data" perm enabled on your profile. Details can be found here.
  2. It depends. If you plan to commercialize and distribute this app through the AppExchange, then you should move to the Developer Edition and use that going forward. If this is for your own development internally, then a separate Sandbox will do. You can easily move customizations from Sandbox to Production via the Force.com IDE.
  3. I'm assuming the link you have is an Installation URL, does that sound right? If so, you can open that URL in a new browser window, enter your DE credentials, and this will start the installation process into the DE org.

Hope that helps,

Sati

maybemedicmaybemedic
Shillyer,
              Thanks so much. It helped a lot. I checked my profile and I have the privilege "Modify All Data", but in Setup -> Data Management, I cannot see the link "Sandbox". From the link in your earlier reply I understand that Salesforce would deactivate the "Sandbox" link in case an org exceed their sandbox limit. We have an "Unlimited" edition and I believe we could create atleast configuration only sandboxes(though I am not sure if there is any limit on it). I'd greatly appreciate if you could shed some light on this issue, so that I can ask the right questions. Thanks again.
shillyershillyer
According to the docs, here are the limits:

The following limits apply to sandboxes:
  • You may order a maximum of three full sandboxes.
  • Unlimited Edition includes one full sandbox with the option to purchase up to three more full sandboxes.
  • You may order a maximum of six configuration-only sandboxes.
  • You can refresh each sandbox 29 days from its previous refresh or creation.

UE includes 1, with the option to order more. I suggest speaking with your AE. They will be happy to help you get more Sandbox orgs.

Best,

Sati

maybemedicmaybemedic
Shillyer,
               Thanks a lot for the info, it helps a lot. I shall follow in the direction you mentioned.