function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
gdesevegdeseve 

Package Install Failed

I can't install our package into our test org. Does anyone know how to handle this? I'd like to be able to fix it without wrangling too much with Support...

I have tried installing the package several times yesterday and today - and I have tried to isolate the problem within the objects. I know what object is causing the problem, but not what to do. The object has installed with no problem as a different version. (From the discussion boards, it looks like there is a known issue with installing apps in an org where they were installed (and removed) before - but no one says how to fix it in the org without Support.)

The error message I get is: "Your requested install failed. Please try this again. None of the data or setup information in your Salesforce organization should have been affected by this error. If this error persists, contact Support through your normal channels and reference number: 1525493615-16962 (717204977)"

I filed a customer support case: #02400539.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
gdesevegdeseve
This worked - I still had a problem until I went through my triggers and took out the namespace refs there too. Thanks for your help!

All Answers

A_SmithA_Smith

It appears you are trying to install an unmanaged package and portions of your apex code includes namespaces in the code:

gA__greenerLEEDEB__c

Unmanaged packages do not maintain namespaces.  You simply need to make sure all your references in the Apex code do not include a namespace reference, upload the package again, and then try the install.  This is a know issue that will be fixed soon.

Thansk,

gdesevegdeseve

Andrew - 

It seems like I can't get rid of all of the namespace references. This is a real problem in two places: in formula fields and in custom summary report formulas.

For field formulas, I take them out - both in Eclipse and in the force.com UI - and they are appended again to the formula once I sync or save.

For custom summary reports, I can't save them unless there is a namespace.

Any thoughts on how I can make a clean sweep without moving everything to a new org (i.e. an org without a namespace)? I'd really like to avoid moving things if I can.

Thanks,

Gerry

A_SmithA_Smith

Don't worry about formula fields, etc.  You only need to worry about apex code and visualforce pages.  All the other places will automatically drop the namespace when you upload the package.  Apex and visualforce don't offer this capability, which is why you must manually remove the namespace prior to upload.

Thanks, 

gdesevegdeseve
This worked - I still had a problem until I went through my triggers and took out the namespace refs there too. Thanks for your help!
This was selected as the best answer
nitesurfernitesurfer

Okay,  you solved the problem, but how did you figure it out?  What log or resource allowed you to garner what the issue truly was from the error message?  I will check into the error below to see if the same was the same.

Thanks

David

=============================================================================

2/9/2009 1:19 PM | David Byrd
I tried to install package named below and received an install error which advised contacting Salesforce Support. I have logged a ticket on my Developer instance # 02429066 and this instance of ZYWAVE too.

Please contact me via email or phone as soon as possible.

Thank you

David Byrd

Package Name Zywave
Description This package is configured for Zywave only -V1
Apex Exception Notification Recipient David Byrd
Created By David Byrd, 2/4/2009 9:49 AM API Access Unrestricted [Enable Restrictions]
Modified By David Byrd, 2/5/2009 12:45 PM

Version Name QuickArrow SFDC Integration Pkg v1 Uploaded By nsurfer@quickarrow.com

Package Zywave

Status Uploaded Password Protected

Installation Link https://login.salesforce.com/?startURL=%2Fpackaging%2FinstallPackage.apexp%3Fp0%3D04t80000000j2Sh
Description (none provided)

====================================================

https://na6.salesforce.com/help/doc/user_ed.jsp?body=%2Fhelp%2Fswitchuserwait.jsp%3FcssJump%3D%2Fsserv%2Fcaselist.jsp&loc=support

Case 02429066

Type:
Functional Area: Packaging / Uploading / Installing Apps

Contact Name: David Byrd

Contact Phone: 512 381 0643

Account Name: QuickArrow
Contact Email: dbyrd@quickarrow.com

Date/Time Opened: 2/9/2009 12:42 PM

Subject:

Package Install Error

Description:

I was trying to install a package we generated from this instance to Zywave.

I received the following error:

Package Install Error:
Your requested install failed. Please try this again.
None of the data or setup information in your Salesforce organization should have been affected by this error.

If this error persists, contact Support through your normal channels and reference number: 1935783568-4888 (-1820525932)

Please assist quickly. I Called and logged this issue online on Thursday the 5th of Feb. My call actually got bumped in the middle of a conversation wit a service representative to a computer message stating for basic service call 8am to 8pm EST Monday thru Friday. Well it was around 2 to 3 Central time on Feb 5th.

Thank you

David Byrd
Message Edited by nitesurfer on 02-09-2009 03:26 PM
gdesevegdeseve

nitesurfer -

The error message was useless. I was only able to figure it out thanks to Andrew's help above. I searched all of my code in Eclipse and took out the namespace references.

Overall, it would be very helpful if the error messages were in human-readable form, and if a list of known issues was made public - along with descriptions, workarounds, planned resolutions and a timeframe for implementing the resolution in the Force.com platform (etc., etc.).

It would also be helpful to know the overall roadmap for planned improvements for packaging. This feature is woefully lacking at this point, and it is not clear when it will get better, or how.

It is a major disappointment to come to the end of a development cycle only to find that you can't publish your app without calling support or weeding through the discussion boards...

shillyershillyer

Product Management is constantly viewing the IdeaExchange to see what features our customers, partners and developers want. Packaging features can be found under the Application Distribution category. I recommend visiting this place to vote on the ideas that matter most to you.

You'll also see what ideas are "Idea Under Consideration" to see what is getting attention.

Hope that helps,

Sati

nitesurfernitesurfer

Salesforce response to my ticket:

2/11/2009

Dear David,

Thank you for using Salesforce Support. I have recently accepted ownership of case number 02429066, regarding Package Install Error.

After further reviewing and researching your case, we have discovered that this was a bug and this bug was logged. It appears that you have a field on the opportunity object that is deleted (see the deleted fields link on opp). The installing package has a field with the same name and they are clashing on install. In order to resolve this issue you would need to permanently delete this field then the install will work.. Please provide me with a current contact phone number and a time that I can contact you. I am available from (8am-5pm) EST, please let me know if you are available at this time. 

Please notify me via email with further questions regarding this case or if you are still in need of assistance.

Thank You

Dwight Thomas

My Notes:  

Hey,

After reviewing the issues described on the link below, I thought it could be namespace related, or some other dependency. 

http://community.salesforce.com/sforce/board/message?board.id=appexdirectory&thread.id=1341

I am using unmanaged packages as after deployment of the standard package certain fields will require customization.  The instance we built the package in originally had a namespace, but it really is not necessary since we are using unmanaged packages.

So what I thought is I should just prefix everything with a "QA_"  ( QA for QuickArrow) on the fields names and ensure all objects, rules or whatever mention QuickArrow in the Named too.  This worked.

Going back into the Instance I was trying to install to I found a deleted field called Project_Status.  Arggg, this would have been easy to take care of last week, but I think the revisions to the package I made were for the best.

Going forward maybe a BEST PRACTICES for packaging would be good on the Developer force forum.

Thank you

David Byrd

So it appears my problem had nothing to do with a namespace issue.  It did however have something to do with a field name.  Interesting.

David

Message Edited by nitesurfer on 02-11-2009 07:48 AM
GoForceGoGoForceGo

I am having a similar issue. Case # 02541475

I have a base package and I am trying to install an unmanaged package as an extension package. Obviously the extension package Apex code and triggers use the base package prefix when referencing base package objects.

Any help appreciated.

=================================================================

None of the data or setup information in your Salesforce organization should have been affected by this error.

If this error persists, contact Salesforce Support through your normal channels and reference number: 749622665-488 (-1897878611)

amorganamorgan
I'm having the same issue, but in my case it is very interesting and I can't fix it.
I get an install error like the others are reporting.

If this error persists, contact Salesforce Support through your normal channels and reference number: 374249848-61402 (-504871690)

The fix is to remove the namespaces in the APEX code. Well, I tried that and it seems to re-insert the namespace into the source after I save.
Now I have a namespace in my code that I can't get rid of no matter what I try.
A_SmithA_Smith
I think this is probably a different issue.  Have you logged a case with the details?
amorganamorgan
Well, I do have trouble removing the namespace so I thought it was related. I don't have much details as to why the install link doesn't work.

Cases:
Install link trouble: 02772692
Namespace issue: 02765884
JhogueJhogue

Just wanted to post the solution I found to install failed messages while developing my app.  Yeah the messages that salesforce gives are useless. However, IF you EMPTY all your test data and re-run all your tests you should see the problem the installer is reporting with LINE number and all that good stuff.

Could just be a simple solution to an overly complicated issue.

Jack

Raman-OHRaman-OH

I do not have any namespace prefix but am still getting the error

Package: DC Objects VF Controllers (04tV00000000awJ)
Error Number: 1780375925-3947 (-1639467938)