function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
dfalsodfalso 

My managed package packages and installs fine, but loses configuration and doesn't actually work

I'm attempting to install my package in our sandbox (developed in my developer account). I'm able to package it up and install it via the web link. However, when I actually try to run it in the sandbox, all of my objects' pages are set to the default (I made custom VF pages and overrode many of them), and when I manually set the override for a given object, if the VF page is using an extension, it can't find and gives an error regarding the standard controller (ex: Unknown property 'Outcomes__CIIS_Project__cStandardController.CIIS_Project__c'). For pages using a custom controller, the overrides are still lost, but if I reinstate them manually the page does work.

I've checked permissions on my pages and every single profile is enabled (I'm also logged in as admin in the sandbox). I've tried rebuilding the package in my dev account and deleting from the sandbox and installing a new one, but same problem. I'm not sure what's going on at this point.

Any help or insight would be appreciated. Thanks much.

-Dominic Falso

The Reinvestment Fund, Inc.

shillyershillyer

Button overrides are not packageable - vote on the idea!

Best,

Sati

dfalsodfalso
OK (which is crazy - thanks for the link). So a) why, when I set them manually, the system kicks out the missing standard object error, and b) so how then are you supposed to deploy an application via the web upload?
Message Edited by dfalso on 03-17-2009 09:29 AM
Greg HGreg H

I am not sure about the error. But you'll need to include instructions on how to configure your application either in the customization and enhancement guide (on The AppExchange Listing) or in an email of some sort that you send after installation. In the instructions you'll need to list the button overrides that need to take place in order for the functionality to work correctly. It's a pain but a necessary step until salesforce.com allows for those things to be packaged.

-greg

dfalsodfalso
Ok, thanks. So are people then not writing custom VF pages for their apps? I'm just curious how this is currently being done by app developers. 
shillyershillyer

Visualforce pages are being used by many partner apps, but since not everything can be packaged (such as button overrides on standard buttons), the partner will include a customization guide to step the admin through necessary post-installation steps.

Best,

Sati

dfalsodfalso

Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

I'd "solution" this post except for the standard controller error issue. Would you all recommend that I close this one and start up a separate post? I'm still pretty stuck on that one. 

dfalsodfalso

I've narrowed the problem down a bit. 

My VF page are either for the "View" override or the "New" and "Edit" overrides. All of the "New" and "Edit" overrides work fine. All of the "View" overrides don't work at all, with the standard controller error shown previously. I'm really stuck here, because the "View" override is critical to the GUI flow.