function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
drumdancedrumdance 

Custom User Fields

Hi All,

My app has a couple of custom user fields that are used to access outside data (almost identical to SalesForce's own username/pass+security token setup).

I ask for this info in the user setup section of SalesForce, but they don't show up by default until the admin either manually adds them to the layour or designates our layout.

Is there a way to automatically add these fields to the user layout during install? If not, is there a tutorial I can link to about setting up the user layout?

shillyershillyer

You can package the User Layout as part of your app, so the fields are automatically there. But the admin will need to change the page layout assignment, so users use your new User page layout, instead of the one they are currently using.

Hope that helps,

Sati

drumdancedrumdance
That's what I thought, and that's how I'm doing it currently. Is there a good tutorial with screen shots on SalesForce about setting this up? I could do it myself with screen shots but it seems like this is a pretty common issue. Unfortuntately I haven't found a concise explanation in the online documentation.
shillyershillyer

Most partners that require additional setup steps after install create a customization guide. This guide is tailored to their app and walks the admin through the entire install and configuration process. I recommend checking out some of the apps on AppExchange and see what they created. You may also was to create a short video too.

Best,

Sati

drumdancedrumdance

I've looked at a bunch of them but haven't really found one I like. Our configuration screen is a wizard that deep-links to specific configuration sections of SalesForce.

Thanks anyway.

SuvraSuvra

Hi all,

I need to expose my App's custom User fields through Enterprise WSDL. As getUserInfo API method only exposes the standard fields, is there any similar kind of thing available?

Or else, if I could maintain the Session ID and User ID association, User Table could be queried to retrieve custom field values.

Please give some suggestions on how this can be achieved.

Thanks in advance,

Suvra