function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ForcecodeForcecode 

Feature list for certified package in Professional Edition ?

Is there a list of features you can use in a certified package and install in PE even if the feature is not available in this edition for the customer ?

What I learned is that the "Email Service" is available and then I found this from the

Whats new in Apex Code Tech Talk:

Q: PE doesn't have Apex, but an AppExchange package can be flagged to run Apex in a PE org. does this permission bring with it Batch Apex and the Scheduler, so that the app can perform these things in a Professional Edition org?
A: Yes

I could not find a complete list. Must these features be activated in the PE org by Salesforce Support before installing the package ?

Thanks.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
shillyershillyer

Yes, any Apex Code, including Batch, Scheduler and Email Services will execute. The only exception I can think of is if you build an Apex Web Service and you try to access it externally (calling in). This will work in EE and higher, but not PE and lower. You can call out, just not call in to that Apex Web Service. Hope that's clear.

In any event, I recommend getting a PE test org from the Partner Portal and testing. The test orgs from partner portal allow you to install Beta Managed Packages to test before you Release.

Best,

Sati

All Answers

shillyershillyer

When you authorize a Managed Package during the Security Review, Apex Code is the only special feature allowed to run in PE/GE. Other features/objects such as Record Types or Campaigns will still not work unless the subscriber org has them installed.

Hope that helps,

Sati

ForcecodeForcecode

Yes, I know about Record Types and Campaigns in PE.

What if I have an Apex class that implements one of the following interfaces:

• Batchable (Batch API)
  • Schedulable (Apex Scheduler)
  • Messaging.InboundEmailHandler (Email Service)

Will it install in PE or will it fail ? I want to share the same code in PE and EE without using extensions and because classes with these interfaces must be global, I cannot remove them from the package if it will not work in PE.

Thanks.

Message Edited by Forcecode on 01-07-2010 09:52 AM
Message Edited by Forcecode on 01-07-2010 09:52 AM
shillyershillyer

Yes, any Apex Code, including Batch, Scheduler and Email Services will execute. The only exception I can think of is if you build an Apex Web Service and you try to access it externally (calling in). This will work in EE and higher, but not PE and lower. You can call out, just not call in to that Apex Web Service. Hope that's clear.

In any event, I recommend getting a PE test org from the Partner Portal and testing. The test orgs from partner portal allow you to install Beta Managed Packages to test before you Release.

Best,

Sati

This was selected as the best answer
ForcecodeForcecode
Great, thanks for the info.
rforce2rforce2

Sati,

If I have an Apex WebService and will use it in a VisualForce page using sforce.apex.execute js, will it still be considered as a call-in and will require EE and higher?

Thanks,

Rolan