function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
KO_S2OKO_S2O 

App Transfer Org to Org

I am working on transferring a large application from one org to another.  All we need is the metadata (no data).  I am looking at my options for the metadata transfer and am trying to figure out which one would be the easiest and considered best practices. In a nutshell, we just need the application, in its entirety, moved to a new org.  This application will then be deleted from the source org.  The target org is a fresh org with no data yet.

Here are the options that I think I have:

Unmanaged package - This seems the easiest but not sure if this would be best practices or not.

Force.com IDE - One way would be to add/sync all of the metadata components to a project in the IDE, then transfer them to the second org in a new project.  In theory, this should work but I get a lot of Java memory errors in Eclipse when trying to sync the components.  There are a lot of components

Deployment Connections - Perhaps this is the best method?

Migration tool - This seems the most complicated and I am wondering if one of the three methods above will suffice.

Any suggestions?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
A_SmithA_Smith

Don't use unmanaged packages.  Any of the others are great picks.  Deployment connections is my favorite.

All Answers

A_SmithA_Smith

Don't use unmanaged packages.  Any of the others are great picks.  Deployment connections is my favorite.

This was selected as the best answer
KO_S2OKO_S2O

Andrew,

Thanks, I read some more on unmanaged packages after posting and I agree.  Due to the size of this application, I needed to look at all options.  I think deployment connections is going to be the best option and I'm very familiar with how it works.

One question though, is there any workaround to the Java memory issues in the IDE when syncing your metadata?  I found a few other posts recommending updating the INI file for Eclipse to allow for more memory, but they don't work for me.  It seems like there should be some way to pull down metadata in batches in the IDE versus all-at-once.

I did mess around with Adding/Removing metadata components and skipping the synchronization.  Then I right-clicked each component folder and "Refreshed from Server".  This worked fine for most components, but I got errors on some that obviously contained a lot of metadata. 

JonPJonP

In the IDE, if you can't allocate enough memory to get your entire application downloaded, then you could create multiple projects with portions of your application.  

If you're migrating profiles or translations, things get a little trickier because the contents of those files are determined by what else is in the same project--you only get perms or translations for the other included components. One trick here that might work for you is to create a new project but only select profiles and/or translations for the contents.  Then go to Project Properties > Project Contents and select all, but when it asks you to refresh your project say no.  Now you have a project where all of your components are selected but most haven't actually been downloaded.  If you now right-click on the profiles and translations folders individually and select Force.com > Refresh from Server, you should get the complete files but without having to download all the other components in your organization.

Jon

salesforce.com Product Manager

KO_S2OKO_S2O

Thanks, Jon.  That was helpful.