function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Himanshu SHimanshu S 

Creating Managed Package in Developer Edition - Problem & best practices

Hi,

I work on salesforce Enterprise Demo Edition, and I found out that creating managed package is not possible in Demo Edition. So now I would have to migrate my entire app to some developer edition and create a package from there.

But I have some concerns while doing that.

1. Once I create a package and install in some other org, can I release updates to that package? And would I need the same developer account to do that. The reason I am asking this is that if I don't log into that developer edition for 6 months, it'll be gone. What will happen to my package then.

2. What should be the right way do team development on salesforce. Should each one of them have their individual developer accounts and everybody uses Force.com IDE and a subversion to keep in sync? ... how should things go on?

Thanks in advance

Pradeep_NavatarPradeep_Navatar

You need not worry about the developer org. Developer org never expires.

Using separate developer editions for all the users is not a good solution. You can opt for enterprise edition and can use sandbox for full fledged development. Salesforce also provides Super-sized DE orgs and Test Environments for Force.com ISVs / Consulting Partners. These orgs are meant for the team development.

Did this answer your question? If not, let me know what didn't work, or if so, please mark it solved.

aalbertaalbert

A few additional points:

a. When migrating the code from the Enterprise org to Developer edition, it will be migrated in an unmanaged state. You can use Ecilpse IDE to deploy the code to the Developer Edition, or you can use the Migration Tool (ie Ant-based tool) or an unmanaged package. All are valid and will properly migrate the components of your application to the Developer Edition.

b. If you are a registered partner, you can sign up for a Partner Developer Edition org through the Partner Portal (www.salesforce.com/partnerportal). This org is the same DE org available at developer.force.com, but it has 20 licenses so the team can all develop in the same org. The edition details are listed here: http://wiki.developerforce.com/index.php/Partner_Development_&_Test_Environments.

c. There is more information about team development here: http://wiki.developerforce.com/index.php/Using_Force.com_with_Subversion_for_Team_Development

gv007gv007

Pradeep.

According to documentation you are right.But in terms of practical some time getting sandbox environment is difficult from admins for department account not useful ,because it was expiring with one year not convient like developer account.

Thanks

Gopi

gv007gv007

If you are using so many developer accounts for development not a problem you are maintaining proper SVN.For salesrooms development sub version is not right tool because it is directly sync with developer work space Some times with out user knowledge the code will sync in subversion there is lot of developers you got lot of problems with subversion use another reliable SVN.s