function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
CyberfireCyberfire 

Challenging workflow - account / opportunity cross-update

Here is the dilemma - I want the stage on the opportunity to update to a status when I change the owner of an account. I've tried everything I can think of with workflow, and no success.

I've found that even if I build a round-about workflow, when you change ownership at the account level, it apparently isn't "editing" the opportunity, even though it shows you modifying it, and no workflow will trigger on the opportunity.

I've tried using "ISCHANGED" with "every time a record is created or edited", and that doesn't work either. The error says: "The ISCHANGED function cannot reference the Account.OwnerId field." It says this when I'm trying to reference that field from an opportunity based workflow.

Any suggestions? Am I missing anything?

PeanutmanPeanutman

Hi Cyberfire,

I thought of something which might work for you.

How about creating a custom field on the Account object (which you can hide from everyone) which you fill in with a value via a Workflow Update each time the Account Owner changes.

You then can create another Workflow Rule which evaluates when this field has a value. When the Workflow Rule sees this field has a value, it can then update the 'Stage' fieldon the Opportunity record to the status you want.

Hope this helps.

Eric