function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
rscottrscott 

Package extension with new fields on custom object

We have a managed package with many custom objects. Now, we are creating a package extension. This extension has some new custom fields added to several custom objects in the managed package. They package up just fine, the issue is getting an updated .object file so we can add it to our source control database (subversion). 

I am able to get updated standard objects we've added fields to (Eclipse > Force.com Project Contents, add objects - standard), but not custom objects. How can I get these updated files?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
rscottrscott

I'm answering my own question here. If it wasn't clear earlier, I was trying to download all the metadata files of what is in my package extension in Eclipse so I could put them in version control.

First, create the package extension in Salesforce. Then when you are creating the Force.com project in Eclipse, choose 'Contents of package' in the 'Choose initial project contents' screen and select the package you created earlier. What then gets downloaded into your Eclipse project is everything that has been added to your package extension. So, if you have added a field to a custom object from your managed package, you get a metadata file with just that new field in it.

All Answers

rscottrscott

I'm answering my own question here. If it wasn't clear earlier, I was trying to download all the metadata files of what is in my package extension in Eclipse so I could put them in version control.

First, create the package extension in Salesforce. Then when you are creating the Force.com project in Eclipse, choose 'Contents of package' in the 'Choose initial project contents' screen and select the package you created earlier. What then gets downloaded into your Eclipse project is everything that has been added to your package extension. So, if you have added a field to a custom object from your managed package, you get a metadata file with just that new field in it.

This was selected as the best answer
GunishGunish

:smileyvery-happy: Thank you very much, this worked perfectly for me!

I Am Curious, are there Any other approaches to this ?

-Gunish Rai Chawla

JimskiJimski

I have edited the package.xml contents directly. In my case I had a custom object deployed by my base package. In the extension package project I wished to deploy an additional field to this custom object.

As you guys have pointed out, when you view the dialog from Project Properties to Choose Metadata Components the dialog does not show my base package objects in either "objects - custom" or "objects - standard".

So I edited the package.xml directly and added the following:

<types>

<members>Account.CustomAccountField__c</members>       <members>MyNamespace__BaseCustomObject__c.ExtensionField__c</members>

<name>CustomField</name>   

</types>

I then synchronised with the server and it detected that the object had been updated, my custom base package object appears under objects and also the metadata file just contains the new extension field.

I am yet to determine if this will deploy successfully in the extension package. Will try and update this to let you know.

Cheers

Jimski