function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
we-mpwe-mp 

Package install process

Hello,

We are looking to create an app that requires as input some information like first name, last name and address info for a person.  Information like name and address can be stored in multiple locations on the SF platform (like Contact or Account or a Custom object).  Therefore my question is --  Is it possible to build this app in such a way that it prompts the installer about which SF object to use to retrieve this information?  Also then allowing use of this selection to complete the package install process appropriately?

Thanks.

aalbertaalbert

This wouldn't happen upon install but you could develop a page in your application that lets the Admin configure this mapping. Then your application references the configuration settings dynamically to know where to map the attributes. This sounds like a good use case for Custom Settings. 

we-mpwe-mp

Thanks for your answer.  I have been looking at applying a CustomSetting based solution and have run into a few roadblocks.  I have multiple VF pages and Standard Controller extension classes that need to refer to the object that stores user information (like Account or Contact ).  For e.g. here is a VF page linked to the Contact object (assuming this is the object that stores user data)

<apex:page standardController="Contact" extensions="myExtension" tabStyle="Contact">

These static references to Contact will need to change if user data is stored in say a custom object.  Any suggestions?