function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
footprint_ninafootprint_nina 

Default Value as Account name

Hi,

I created a new field on our opportunity page called "Acknowledgement Name" and I want to set up the default value to be the Account Name that the opportunity is tied to, but in the formula editor for the defaul value i don't see Account Name at all - is this just impossible to do? or maybe can i set work a workflow rule or validation rule?

Thanks!

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Steve :-/Steve :-/

What is the DataType of your custom field?  If the datatype is Formula(Text) then you can use the Field Insert Wizard to create a Formula, which should look like:

Opportunity>Account>Account Name 

Which will give you something like this:

Account.Name

If your field DataType is just Text then you're gonna have to use a Workflow Rule with a Field Update.

All Answers

What is the DataType of your custom field?  If the datatype is Formula(Text) then you can use the Field Insert Wizard to create a Formula, which should look like:

Opportunity>Account>Account Name 

Which will give you something like this:

Account.Name

If your field DataType is just Text then you're gonna have to use a Workflow Rule with a Field Update.

This was selected as the best answer
footprint_ninafootprint_nina
it's just a Text field. I want the default to be the Account Name but for users to be able to change it if they have a better form of acknlowedgment. Is that possible with the Formula(Text) field? if so, i'll change it to that.
If you need them to be able to edit it, then you'll need to go with a WFR and a Field Update, Formula Fields cannot be editied, they can only return the result of a Formula.