function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JeriMorrisJeriMorris 

Visibility of triggers, buttons, and other components to unlicensed users

If my managed package contains a trigger on a standard object, will the trigger fire if the currently-running user is not licensed to use my application?

If my managed package contains a workflow rule and action on a standard object, will the action fire if the currently-running user is not licensed to use my application?

If my managed package contains a button that, as part of configuring my application after it's installed, gets added to the page layout for a standard object, will the button be visible to users who aren't licensed to use my application?

In general, what components of my managed package will be visible to or callable by users who aren't licensed to usee my application?

Thanks!

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
cgosscgoss

Hi Jeri,

In general, things that are not visible to the running user (like triggers, workflows, etc) are in fact executed behind the scenes. This way, data integrity stays intact.

However, packaged items that are visible to the user, like buttons, objects, tabs, apps, fields, reports, and VF pages are hidden from the user. They can still be assigned packaged layouts and record types, but those layouts will only contain fields not in the package.

I know there's a reference somewhere for the canonical list, but I can't put my finger on it at the moment.