function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
chartchart 

Mapping Standard fields to a custom object

Please help! I have created a custom Object and need to map standard fields from the Account and Contact to the custom object. For example I am trying to map Contact Email to my custom object and can not firgure out what I'm doing wrong.

My custom object has a Master relation to the Contact.
I used a simple formula - Contact.Email and I get the syntax error no such field exists.

We are using the Enterprise Edition.
Any thoughts????

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
GeraldineGrayGeraldineGray

If you are composing your formula in a doc or other application then pasting it into SFDC it sometimes copies html junk which you can't see. Until you've spent half the day trying to figure out why the thing won't work.

Write your formula in notepad (oldie but goodie) then paste it in and it should be fine. Or maybe you are pointing it to the field on the custom object, not the standard object?

Otherwise, as per above comment - it should be a text cross-object formula so you follow the path to - 

> Insert field

> Custom object name

> Standard object name

> Standard object field name (Mine was called Contact__r.Email if this helps?)

Message Edited by GeraldineGray on 03-10-2010 10:13 AM

All Answers

Steve :-/Steve :-/
Try using the Formula Wizard to make sure that all of the field references are correct.  Can you post a screen shot of this?

If you are composing your formula in a doc or other application then pasting it into SFDC it sometimes copies html junk which you can't see. Until you've spent half the day trying to figure out why the thing won't work.

Write your formula in notepad (oldie but goodie) then paste it in and it should be fine. Or maybe you are pointing it to the field on the custom object, not the standard object?

Otherwise, as per above comment - it should be a text cross-object formula so you follow the path to - 

> Insert field

> Custom object name

> Standard object name

> Standard object field name (Mine was called Contact__r.Email if this helps?)

Message Edited by GeraldineGray on 03-10-2010 10:13 AM
This was selected as the best answer
Steve :-/Steve :-/

Yes  @GeraldineGray's description is dead-on

Well Done GG! 

Welcome and thank you.

If only all formulas were that easy to fix.