function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
TH53TH53 

Uninstall/Install issue with Spring 13

We have a managed extension package that has been available on the AppExchange for over 3 years. We are in the process of finalizing an updated version to our extension so we have been actively testing the install and uninstall process within a variety of development orgs. The new version of our package is still set as 'beta'. We have encountered a problem in 2 separate orgs which seem to have only started to occur since the Spring 13 release (we have sucessfully completed the exact same install/uninstall testing on many upgrades in the past with no issues whatsoever). Note: no major components, pages, etc. were added as part of this new version.

Here is the scenario:

1. Install the beta version of our extension package into a Spring 13 org.

2. Uninstall the beta version of our extension package.

3. Attempt to reinstall the beta version - OR any previous version (including release versions that have been working fine for years) - and receive the very cryptic error message that the install failed with an even more cryptic error code.

We created a case and fortunately they were able to provide some additional error log information. The log information implies that certain components included in our package are 'duplicates'. This makes us believe that the previous uninstall did not completely remove some of the items in our package - namely, 2 custom fields that are included in the package. We have NEVER had this issue before and believe me, we have tested our install/uninstall process hundreds of times. The initial install worked fine - it just fails after an uninstall and a re-install.

I am posting this on the discussion boards because i am not sure how much support i will get from salesforce.com.

Has anyone else encountered this situation? If so, please speak up. Maybe we can collectively work together to get the attention of the salesforce support team - beyond just first level support.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
TH53TH53

This is a follow-up note to let anyone reading this thread know that the issue has been resolved by Salesforce.com

HUGE thanks to Reid Carlberg for working to get this problem resolved! You are awesome!

All Answers

TH53TH53

Update after some more experimentation. I wanted to determine if the problem was related to a beta version and/or a beta version that was built on Spring 13. Therefore, I set up a brand new dev org and did the following:

1. Install the base package.

2. Install the extension package - using the released version from the AppExchange that was built back in August 12.

3. Uninstall the extension package.

4. Install the extension package again.

5. Uninstall the extension package

6. install the extension package - error on install. Additional attempts to install the package will result in an error.

Therefore, it appears to be more of an issue with the uninstall process in Spring 13. Anyone else willing to try this in their dev org?

ReidCReidC

Can you send me the case number you're working on?  Email is best.

reid dot carlberg at salesforce dot com.

Thanks,

TH53TH53

Thanks Reid - i sent you case # in email.

TH53TH53

This is a follow-up note to let anyone reading this thread know that the issue has been resolved by Salesforce.com

HUGE thanks to Reid Carlberg for working to get this problem resolved! You are awesome!

This was selected as the best answer