function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JBA ISVJBA ISV 

Trialforce - Embed another AppExchange App??

I am an OEM ISV, and I want to bundle my app together with an AppExchange app, to offer to a specific vertical market.

I've heard from a couple places that an ISV can 'embed' an AppExchange app into their Trialforce, and I'm wondering how that works.

I understand that when a Trialforce Source Org is setup, that is where I install my app, test data, and custom configuration.  However, am I also able to install another app from the AppExchange into this Trialforce Source Org?  If so, when my customer gets the trial, will both my LMA and the AppExchange App's LMA both get license requests? Is there any other sort of special setup that has to occur between my LMA and my AppExchange partner's LMA?

(To be clear, this other app from the AppExchange is from a differentISV than myself.)

My goal is for my customers to have a 'turn-key' solution wherein they don't not have to do the install and post-install configuration of the other 3rd party AppExchange app....also I want to ensure that the other ISV vendor gets his license requests.

Thanks in advance,

John

aalbertaalbert

A few things:

1. I'd reach out to the other ISV to let them know you are doing that. 

2. Technically, both LMA's will get the respective lead/license record. So you and the other ISV will know. 

JBA ISVJBA ISV
Thanks for the reply!
Of course I have been in talks with the other ISV, very important ;-) and of course he is eager for the 'free business'. The issue we're trying to figure out is the licensing.

So Trialforce won't barf when I try to install someone else's package off the AppExchange?

And all the configurations I make between my app and the other app will remain intact for my customers who take the Trial?

One more caveat. My AE said that I need to do a 'Bridge Package', and get that Security Reviewed (in addition to Security Review for my Base App). Total $600 for 2 Security Reviews.

A Bridge is simply another Dev Org where you combine two managed package apps together and package them into 1 package. However my research indicates it seems that this is only for 1 single ISV who is combining multiple of their own apps.

When I try to create a Bridge Package with my app and the other ISV's app, I don't see the other ISV's app in the 'Add App' list while packaging. I can only add the other ISV's Tabs to my base app, and package that up.

When I install that Bridge Package into a Test Org, it errors, saying it first needs a license from the other ISV's app.

So I did it again, except first I installed the other ISV's app into the Test Org, and then I installed my Bridge Package. This seemed to work.

info my AE gave me on Bridge Packages. Other than this, she said "I don't know, I'm new here"
http://www.slideshare.net/partnerforce/extend-your-commercial-forcecom-app-dreamforce-2012-919

Any idea on how or if this works?

aalbertaalbert

1. Trialforce won't have any issue with you having more than 1 app (ie more than 1 managed package) installed. No issue there.

2. All the configurations you make in your TSO (Trialforce Source org) will carry over. Please test to double-check but no special issue because you have more than 1 app.

3. You shouldn't need any bridge package nor go through security review as long as both apps are already security review. 

4. Please send me an email at aalbert@salesforce.com. I want to make sure we straighten out the 'bridge' concept and get you the right information.

Thanks.