function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ecmsdbecmsdb 

Multiple managed packages per namespace?

Is there any way to use the same namespace when creating multiple managed packages?

For example, assume XYZ Accounting Software Co has two applications that they want to sell, one for accounts payable and one for accounts receivable. These two applications share the same data model, which includes some custom objects that XYZ has developed.

If the XYZ_AR and XYZ_AP managed packages are uploaded from two different DE orgs with two different namespaces, the shared datamodel will no longer be shared, because the custom objects will have different namespace prefixes.

How do companies who want to sell more than one application using the same shared data model handle this?

Only option I can think of is to develop and deploy the shared data model as yet another managed package with it's own namespace, and then install the shared data model as an app in the XYZ_AR and XYZ_AP DE orgs.

Is there another way to handle this that I'm missing? Thanks!

ecmsdbecmsdb

Ok, from the resounding silence I'm guessing that there's nothing incorrect in what I stated.

Having a shared data model in its own namespace seems like it could be really difficult and inflexible to work with across applications. Perhaps the better option would be to put everything in one namespace, and install the data model, the AR and the AP apps as part of one app -- but find a way to hide or disable the app(s) that the customer has not purchased. 

IMManishIMManish
It is now possible to have multiple packages per namespace. https://developer.salesforce.com/docs/atlas.en-us.sfdx_dev.meta/sfdx_dev/sfdx_dev_dev2gp_intro.htm