function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jisaacjisaac 

Validation rule requiring a picklist field to be completed based on another Picklist field value

Not sure why this Validation rule is not working. I want to make sure that they enter the name of the Alliance Manager if the BU Opportunity Type is "Referral to Third Party Vendor" but it is not working.

Here is the formula:

AND

(ISPICKVAL( BUOpportunityType__c , "Referral to Third Party Vendor"),

ISPICKVAL( Alliance_Manager__c, " " ) )

Any ideas?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Steve :-/Steve :-/

Here you go Jane ;-)

AND( ISPICKVAL(Picklist_1__c, "Value"), ISPICKVAL(Picklist_2__c, ""))

So yours would be :

AND
(ISPICKVAL(BUOpportunityType__c , "Referral to Third Party Vendor"),
ISPICKVAL(Alliance_Manager__c, "" ))

I noticed that your formula had a blank space " " between your quotes, if you're checking for a blank picklist you have to use just double quotes with nothing inbetween "".  

Also, when writing a VR for a Picklist you need to make sure that the picklist values in your formula match the ones in the Picklist EXACTLY (spelling, punctuation, Upper/Lower Case, blank spaces, etc.)

All Answers

Ispita_NavatarIspita_Navatar

May be you need to re-phrase the formula.

I wrote the following and it worked:-

if( ISPICKVAL(ForecastCategoryName, "Pipeline") , if(ISPICKVAL( LeadSource, "") ,true,false),false)

Did this answer your question? If not, let me know what didn't work, or if so, please mark it solved.

Steve :-/Steve :-/

Here you go Jane ;-)

AND( ISPICKVAL(Picklist_1__c, "Value"), ISPICKVAL(Picklist_2__c, ""))

So yours would be :

AND
(ISPICKVAL(BUOpportunityType__c , "Referral to Third Party Vendor"),
ISPICKVAL(Alliance_Manager__c, "" ))

I noticed that your formula had a blank space " " between your quotes, if you're checking for a blank picklist you have to use just double quotes with nothing inbetween "".  

Also, when writing a VR for a Picklist you need to make sure that the picklist values in your formula match the ones in the Picklist EXACTLY (spelling, punctuation, Upper/Lower Case, blank spaces, etc.)

This was selected as the best answer