function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Sara-CASASara-CASA 

cross-object workflow master-detail with 2 masters

I have a tricky workflow that I'm trying to set up.  Basically I have 2 objects (let's call them Master1 and Master 2) that both have master-detail relationships to the same detail object (Detail).  I want a workflow rule to update a field on Master2 based on a value in Detail when a field on Master1 changes.

Since Master1 and Master2 don't have a direct relationship between them, I'm not sure how to make this work.  I tried setting up the workflow rule on Detail, since then I could access all the fields, but the field update would never happen because the workflow was looking for an edit to Detail and I was updating Master1.  I tried it with a formula field on Detail to copy the info I want from Master1 and then have that trigger the field update on detail, but unfortunately a formula updating itself doesn't count as an edit, so that didn't work either.

Would appreciate any thoughts on how to make this work.

Thanks!
Sara

forcedotcomforcedotcom

Sounds interesting - do you have the option of using an Apex trigger to do the update? I think you'll run into workdflow limitations with the current setup

Sara-CASASara-CASA

I have the option, but my coding skills are minimal, so was hoping to get around that :)