function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ad75ad75 

Problem with Eclipse help when writing Apex code

I have a problem with the help features in Eclipse 3.3 (actually Flex3, which is based onEclipse 3.3).  I have a workaround but this took quite a while to hit on, so I think that others might be struggling with the same problem.

I have a clean install of Flex3, and have installed the Force.com IDE plugin for Eclipse 3.3 exactly as described here.  I have a force.com project working, and I can edit and upload code no problem.  The probem is that if I search the Eclipse help, when I click a link to a help item, the links fail.  A little investigation has shown that this is because no HTTP listener is active on the port number referenced in the help URLs.  At first I thought that it was failing at random but I think I've spotted a pattern now:
  • When I start Eclipse, if an Apex code editor window is opened before I use the help function, help will then always fail until I close all Apex code editor windows and restart Eclipse.
    • This includes the case where an Apex code editor window is auto-opened when Eclipse starts, as part of the saved IDE state.
  • If instead I close all Apex code editor windows, restart Eclipse, then access help before I open any Apex code window, help will then work fine for the duration of my Eclipse session, no matter how many Apex code editor windows I open afterwards.
It seems to me that opening Apex code editor windows is somehow stopping the help HTTP listener from starting on first use.

Has anyone else seen this problem?  Thanks.

PS: I also have a problem with Apex code auto-complete in Eclipse. See my reply to "Re: Eclipse - code auto-complete".
JoshVHJoshVH
I have a similar issue.  See my post with the subject "Eclipse Issue Loading Help".  The workaround is the same.  I was able to get the exceptions that is stopping the help from loading from the Eclipse error log.
ad75ad75
Thanks for replying - yes does look like the same problem.  I get pretty similar log messages in my log file.