function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Winsoft Tech.Winsoft Tech. 

accessing fileds from another custom object while creating formula in custom formula field.

HI,

In custom formula  field  i want to do some calculation. This calculation depends on fields from another custom object. But these fields and there custom objects are not accessible to me. So, How to access these fields . Is there any solution is available for this.

thanks.

EricBEricB
There is currently no way to do this with a formula, but this is a high priority enhancement on our roadmap.

There are workarounds using sControls and Ajax Toolkit that are described elsewhere on this discussion board, if writing some code is not too intimidating for you.

Eric

Eric Bezar
Apex Platform Product Management
smoodysmoody
Eric, do you happen to know the time frame of foriegn object relationships?

EricBEricB
It is one of the highest priority features on our platform roadmap, but the implementation is fairly tricky so I can't make any promises on when it will be released for general availability. 

I would love to have some good news to announce this fall at Dreamforce, but you can't always get what you want.  :smileywink:
smoodysmoody
If you need a beta tester, I have about 36 relations I need to link. :smileywink:
This is the one thing that would elimate ALL of my road blocks.
EricBEricB
I would be happy to get you involved in beta testing, etc.  Send me your contact details and we will set something up.

ebezar@salesforce.com
JohnCutJohnCut
Hello Eric

I'm assuming that this also applies to simply using a field value from another object with a 1:1 relationship?

For example, I would like to create a custom Opportunity Line field that concatenates the Product.Name, with the OpportunityLine.Description, and some other custom fields. I'm looking to do this to reduce complexity when creating a Mail Merge document, and to use some logic (e.g. if Line Description Is Blank, use Product Name) that would be a pain to implement in MS Word. This would let me take to following fields:

Product.Name
OpportuntiyLine.Description
OpportuntiyLine.Min_c
OpportuntiyLine.Max_c
Product.UnitMeasurement_c
OpportunityLine.CommittTerm_c

and create a custom opportunity line field with something that looked like ...

Widget Name. Widget description. 0 - 25 Gigabtyes / Month

Thanks for your help. I would be interested in participating in a beta test.

John

Message Edited by JohnCut on 04-09-200711:19 PM