function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SurfsockSurfsock 

Cross Object Formula to map a custom field (drop down) in Accounts to Contacts - Help please.

Hi,

There is a custom field, one called Industry (a drop down list) in Accounts called Industry. I would like to see this in Contacts. I could create a new field but I would prefer to map the one from accounts. Is there a solution for this? Can you share it? I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance

~S

apex whistlerapex whistler

1. If the contact industry is always the same as the account's industry and you don't want users to update the contact industry, then you can create a formula field that pulls in the account's industry, Account.industry__c. So if the account's industry changes, the contact's industry is automatically reflected.

2. If the industry field on Contacts is a drop down list, then you'll have to create one workflow with one field update for each industry picklist value. This is a current limitation with SFDC WFR that you can only set one field update value for a picklist field. Therefore, the logic will have to reside in the WFR vs the field update.

Steve :-/Steve :-/

If all you want is to display whatever is selected in the Account.Industry picklist on the Contact page here's what you need.  

Create a Formula(Text) field on the Contact object.

Then use the Cross-Object Formula Wizard to reference the field on the Account object.  

Your formula will be 

TEXT(Account.Industry) 

Steve :-/Steve :-/

Are you all set now, or do you still need help with anything?