function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
IWanaGoFishingIWanaGoFishing 

How to set default value in Lead.Company field

How can I set a default value in the field Lead.Company?

Essentially, I want all of my leads to convert to the same default company. 

I've tried writing formulas and while they test for proper syntax, none seem to create a default value. 

Thanks for any help!

Steve :-/Steve :-/

You can't set the Lead.Account value with a "straight formula" but if you are on EE or UE you can do this with a Workflow Rule and a Field Update.  

PS.  You win the award for best Alias ;-)

Thanks for the feedback and compliment.

We're on the professional edition.  Perhaps you can suggest an alternative method to accomplish my goal.

I want to have all of our converted leads default to the same account.

Steve :-/Steve :-/

Ouch! that's gonna be tough in PE.  Your best bet might be to create a Validation Rule that prevents a user from saving a Lead with the incorrect company name. 

something like this

Company <> "Default Company Name"

DPrestonDPreston

This is not ideal as the locations you can place the button are limited and the normal new button will still perform the old way but, it is an option.  You can create a custom list view button that pre-populates the Company field through the url.

custom button image

Right click and choose view image if the image is distorted, it's easier than typing a description for creating this

Replace na7 with the one you see in your address bar when logged in and replace default with the company name you want to use, if it's two words put %20 between them, no spaces.

After you have created it using the options shown then go to Search Layouts also under Leads, edit the "Leads List View" and add the new button.  When you click it the value you specified should be filled in.

If you use that same url in the standard Custom Links Home page component you could create a new lead by clicking that link in the sidebar at any time as well.

The only other way that I know of to do it better would be with Workflow, or Visualforce override of the standard New button but, not available in Pro sadly.

Here's a decent starter article on custom button creation and a tool to help find the background html ids of fields:

https://na1.salesforce.com/_ui/training/help/pub/UserEdSolution?id=50130000000Kos8&retURL=https%3A%2F%2Fna7.salesforce.com%2F_ui%2Ftraining%2Fhelp%2FCombinedSearchPage%3Fstr%3Dopportunities%2Bbutton%2Bcase&ps=1&orgId=00D000000000062

They won't replace Workflows for automation but, you can do some neat things.  Hope this helps out.

Thanks!  That created a nice work around!