function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
LithiumsLithiums 

Urgent !!!!!! Formula on Picklist Values

I have  two picklist fiels which have 4 vales each (PickList1, Picklist2). I have a custom text field lets call it Entry__c which would be populated with some value from picklist 1 or 2.

I have another custom field lets call it Result__c which has to be populated based on the Entry__c field. If the Entry__c field has value from Picklist1 the result__c field should be "Success" or if it has values from PicklistValue2  the result__c field should be "Failure" else blank,

Steve :-/Steve :-/

Are the 2 picklist fields mutually exclusive?

LithiumsLithiums

ys they are exclusive and I might have more picklist values in future..so looking for a scalable solution

Okay this should work for you then

Entry__c

IF(TEXT(Picklist_1__c)<>"",TEXT(Picklist_1__c),TEXT(Picklist_2__c))

Result__c 

IF(TEXT(Picklist_1__c)<>"","Success",
IF(TEXT(Picklist_2__c)<>"","Failure",
NULL))

BylithiumBylithium

Do I need to create two formula fields for Entry__c and Result__c

I have created this case(Entry__c,text(Picklist_1__c),"Success" , text(Picklist_2__c),"Failure.","") but this works only when I select the picklist from picklist 1 or 2. I am looking for something to query the contents of the picklist field and give me the result.

Picklist_1 and Picklist_2 should act as a table which can hold the values for Entry__c field to query and return a result.

I used 2 Formula(Text) fields.

Entry__c

Result__c 

From your initial post you said that the Entry__c field should display whatever is selected from Picklist1 or Picklist2 (my formula will do that).  

You also said that Result__c should display Success or Failure depending on with Picklist field is selected (my second formula does that).  

Are you looking for something else?

BylithiumBylithium

Or Can i create any field which can hold values and I can query them and based on result return a value

I'm not sure what you mean.  

in my example both fields are datatype Formula(Text)

LithiumsLithiums

I am sorry I was not clear in my explaination.

I have  n picklist fiels which could have 'n' vales each (PickList1, Picklist2). I have a custom text field lets call it Entry__c which would be populated with some value from my picklist values this is done by a web service.

I have another custom field lets call it Result__c which has to be populated based on the Entry__c field. If the Entry__c field has value from Picklist1 the result__c field should be "Success" or if it has values from PicklistValue2  the result__c field should be "Failure" else blank,There could be more picklist fields.Picklist fields are hidden these are created by me so that I can group the values based on their families.In a way am creating  tables for values which are coming to entry__c and grouping the values.

What I am tryin to do is grouping the entry__c field values to a group and populating the group name in result__c. I can write a formula in Result__c field but the amount of picklist values i have its exceeding the limit so not scalable.

SunilSunil

Okay. So make Result__c as text field and write two workflow rules.

First workflow rule will check the value if Picklist1 values Equals value1, value2,.... then update Result__c as "Success"

Second workflow rule will check for picklist2 values Equals value1, value2,.... then update Result__c as "Failure"

Thanks

LouisaLines-scraseLouisaLines-scrase

I know i have posted this as its own message but I am deperats for a response now :(

Hi there,

I am new to formula writing and am at the end of my teather  and embarrassed about it too as I think this ought to be very simple.

I have 2 Picklists; "Picklist 1_c" and "Picklist2_c" . The values withing the picklists are the same.

I need an email to be sent to User X if a record is created or edited and the value of Picklist1_c is equal to the value of Picklist2_c.

I have tried to use the IF function snad the ISPICKVAL but I dont seem to be winning.  I have been trying for 2 days and am losing the will to live - someone take pity on me.. pleeeease ??