function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SeawardTSeawardT 

Populate Case Field from Custom Object Field

We populate a few fields within a custom object, but want to be able to add this information to a case. Therefore we have created fields in Case by using a lookup relationship.

This fills in the one field which is great, however, we want to pull over 3 or 4 other fields that correspond to the custom object field.

Also, as a separate problem, if trying to lookup a number (field) from the custom object and it doesnt exist, i would like to be able to create a new one if it doesnt already exist, but there is no 'New' button available when doing the lookup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Tony Seaward

Message Edited by SeawardT on 10-05-2007 07:51 AM

Message Edited by SeawardT on 10-05-2007 07:54 AM

NPMNPM
A way you can pull over data to a Case may be to set up a custom button on your custom object that pushes the data to the Case edit page.

Here is an example of a custom button that does a similar thing to what you want to do:

/a0A/e?retURL=%2Fa0A%2Fo
&00N50000001SuWS={!MTD_Agent_Lender__c.Agent_Name__c}
&00N50000001SuTZ={!MTD_Agent_Lender__c.Lender_Insured_Name__c}
&00N50000001T5qd={!MTD_Agent_Lender__c.Legacy_Transaction_ID__c}
&CF00N50000001T247={!MTD_Agent_Lender__c.Name}

You set up the button as a url. Copy the first part of the url (in the example the /a0A/e?retURL=%2Fa0A%2Fo part) from the Case edit page you are passing data to (do not copy the nan.salesforce.com part)

The 00N50000001SuWS, 00N50000001SuTZ, etc. are the ids of the Case fields you want to populate, the rest is the fields selected from the merge list.
To get the field id you right click on the field name in the field list in setup, customize, cases, fields. This is for custom fields. For Case standard field ids see the list below.

When the user clicks the button on the custom object detail page the case edit page will open with the fields prepopulated with the data from your custom object record.

Contact ID cas3_lkid
Text cas3_lkold
Type cas5
Case Reason cas6
Case Currency cas24
Status cas7
Priority cas8
Case Origin cas11
Visible in Portal cas27
Subject cas14
Internal Comments Cas15
Assignment Rules cas21
Send notification to Contact cas22
SeawardTSeawardT
I like the idea and is a method i've used before, however the user will be in the case and i am trying to find a way to essentially do the same thing, but a button that would reference the lookup field associated with the custom object and then populate other fields. I was thinking that this might have to be done with a trigger when the specific case lookup field is used.

Is this my only option?
NPMNPM
Have you considered using a workflow field update that triggers on the value when the record is saved?
WernerWerner
You may use a custom s-control assigned to your custom button.
tmbarrytmbarry
NPM,

In you explaination, where do you go to find the ids of the fields you are trying to populate i.e, 00N50000001SuWS, 00N50000001SuTZ.

In my case, I am trying to pre-populate a custom object (Underwriting) with data from the Opportunities object.
SeawardTSeawardT
My hope was that I could do this as an S-Control, but my attempts have failed. Any tips on doing this without having to click a link or button?
NPMNPM

tmbarry -  in the case of a custom object you get the field id's by clicking onthe field name on the detailpage of the object.

Setup/App Setup/Build/click on the object name (label)/find the filed(s), right click on them, select Properties,, copy the id from the address.

MSheridanMSheridan
I have populated fields from the case to a custom object by overriding the new button using an S-Control. This way there are no additional clicks for the users.