function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JonPJonP 

Force.com IDE for Spring '08 is now available

I'm pleased to let you all know we've just published a new major release of the Force.com IDE.  You can now seamlessly add all the new metadata components in Spring '08 to your Force.com projects and benefit from the familiar highlighting and syntax checking.  Get all the details at the Force.com blog.

Thanks to everyone who participates in this forum for your questions and comments on the IDE.  Our whole team participates actively, and we do our best not only to respond quickly but to use what we learn here to improve the product and inform our vision of Development-as-a-Service.  So keep it coming!

Jon Plax
Product Manager, Developer Tools
salesforce.com

Message Edited by JonP on 02-22-2008 05:49 PM
App_Dev1App_Dev1
i've installed and tried the new release. two features - documents and static resources - are most interesting to me. problem is i can't figure out how to use either.

- static resources are showing up, but mine are zip files. they just show up as garbage. they are not suffixed with .zip - could this be the issue?

- i can't find docments anywhere, but i have many of them, divided among a handful of folders.

thanks for any help.

JonPJonP
Documents are a bit esoteric in the Metadata API.  We will post a How To on developer.force.com early next week, plus we've got some exciting ideas planned for our next major release which will simplify this.  Stay tuned.

On your static resources question, the Metadata API returns components of this type as .resource files, since unlike documents Salesforce doesn't store an extension for static resources.  When you say they show up as garbage, if you copy the file out of the Eclipse project folder and rename it from "X.resource" to "X.zip," does it open correctly?  I just tried this myself and it worked.
paul-lmipaul-lmi
this is good stuff.  quick question, is there a way for us to customize the syntax highlighting?  i'm partially color blind, so i'd like to choose different colors.  when you go into window > prefs, there's no force.com section, like you have with java (which i can change syntax highlight options on).
devadasudevadasu
what is the new Force.Com IDE .can please tell the process or url.i am not syncronize force.com ide with eclipse

jyotijyoti
Yesterday we performed a deployment to our Sandbox using Eclipse.  It was largely successful except for that most page layouts were not copied over and we had to create them manually.  I did a refresh of the unpackaged folder before deploying but it seems that the page layout changes were not captured.  Is there something I'm missing in order to get the page layouts to copy over successfully? 

We are planning another migration into Sandbox tomorrow and eventually would like to use this method to move to Production.  I'm thinking to just delete my current project and recreate it so that it is forced to do a full refresh from the server, but I'm not sure this would resolve the issue.

If anyone has any thoughts or has run into this issue, I'd be curious if there were workarounds.

Thanks!
JonPJonP
The Metadata API (and therefore the Force.com IDE as well) does not support Page Layouts yet in Spring '08.